Tuesday, July 11, 2006

FCCC Camping

This past weekend seven of us went up to Tobermory. My main purpose in organizing this trip was to take my Little on his first camping trip and a bunch of old youth from the former FCCC came along. Great weekend, despite my sun-seared skin.

On Friday we set up camp and toasted hot dogs and marshmallows over a fire. My Little didn't even know that you could cook weiners over a fire so that was interesting. On Saturday, we packed lunchs and headed out for a five hour hike. We did a fairly lengthy trail, visited the grotto and swam in Georgian Bay. We got back to camp and immediately went to the pool for a nice cold swim.

On Saturday evening, I had arranged for a picture scavenger hunt. I created a list of 48 things for which we needed to take pictures. We split into three pairs and each pair had a digital camera, with me being the odd man out as the judge. We blanketed the camp looking for pictures and asking for help from strangers and the other people in camp really started to get into it once they realized that a competition was going on. We got some great action shots and some pretty funny pictures.

I downloaded the pictures to my laptop afterwards and tabulated the scores while everyone went and did some archery with Richard's archery kit. Abe owes Richard one lost arrow and my Little was, shall we say, a little too anxious to shoot at one point. And for the record, Abe & Grace formed a nigh-invincible duo and took the top prize, Celia and Candace took second place and Joel and my Little took the bronze.

I have a ton of pictures but I'll only show a few of the highlights here. As always, I can't show pics of my Little for the sake of privacy. First up, we have a nice black and white picture taken by Celia as we walked around the camp site.

Joel the Carnivore:

Abe rocks! Out on our hike on the Bruce Trail:

Swimming in the Georgian Bay:

Oh, so that's what a grotto is!

Water & Motion: How refreshing!

One of Charlie's Angels and her two friends. Who wears short shorts?

6 comments:

Lori said...

The water looks really nice. I strongly dislike the word 'weiner'.

Battle said...

man it looks like you guys had a blast next year I'm so going with you

solnechko said...

"wiener" ... it's just the German word for someone from Vienna (a.k.a. Wien). Nothing wrong with that. No more weird than a Frankfurter or a Hamburger or a Berliner or ...

tsk tsk, i hope you're not being racist.

solnechko said...

um, p.s. jamie, yeah that looked like lots of fun! i love the blue blues of georgian bay. it's the prettiest place in ontario (besides my backyard). I'm glad you guys all had fun!

Lori said...

Wiener in stictly the hotdog sense. It's just one of those words for me, like 'slab' that's another yukkie one.

Aleah said...

I agree with Battle