Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Compromise Ourselves

To follow up on my previous post, I think we need to be strong enough to compromise ourselves for the sake of others. As that passage from 1 Corinthians states, that does not mean compromising important beliefs, nor does it mean acting sinful in any way.

It may mean disregarding the 'grey areas' of our beliefs for the sake of others. That's straight out of Romans 14.

It may mean developing hobbies or interests beyond our usual preferances. It may mean wearing a tie in order to speak more effectively to seniors, or wearing a mohawk in order to speak more effectively to youth.

It may mean changing aspects of your very personality if that's what turns some people off. That's a fun lesson that I'm still working through. I take a measure of pride if declaring myself to be quite obnoxious. I think it's funny to irritate people a bit about minor things, and I happen to be very good at it. Heh. There came a time when I had to face the reality that various aspects of my personality was hindering my effectiveness as an evangelist, mentor and leader. And let me tell you, it's tough to change a personality that was 25 years in the making. I've seen the direct results of changing how I behave as a leader my youth worship team, and I would say that I am a much more effective leader now than I was two years ago.

It's like stand-up comic that starts using material that isn't funny. Sure, they can continue using stale jokes and Seinfeld rip-offs. They may even get a few laughs from the crowd. In the end, though, that kind of comic won't succeed because they refuse to change. Like Seinfeld showed in his movie Comedian, there is a process that is needed to find the best jokes, to develop the best delivery and to get people laughing.

If we refuse to change, it may not because we are strong but because we are weak. I am not suggesting that we merely become Chameleon Christians or bow to peer pressure. It's a question of what is more important to us: Reaching people or defending our own rights to live as we prefer.

5 comments:

Aleah said...

For once, I think I agree with you. Haha!

Abe said...

I think Joel is a perfect example of this theory in practice. Coming out of high school he was a very knowledgeable and upright Christian, but he found he wasn't reaching out beyond the Christian community. So, he decided that he would have to integrate himself with the non-Christians that surrounded him at University. And, I believe he is finding that now he has a great opportunity to witness.

This is also a direct model of Jesus' ministry, where He was willing to mingle with anyone and everyone...because we all need His salvation. I think this also points to a problem in our current church where we are very introspective, and we seem to be afraid of the "big bad non-Christians". It's time we step out into our communities with faith and wisdom, and spread the good news.

Amanda said...

Well what can I say...when in Rome...
It's so true that if you really want to reach people then you have to bring yourself to their level. Otherwise people may not listen to an outsider who is delivering the message that the people need to change by someone who seems above them. It's wonderful to hear a preacher from a pulpit...but wouldn't it be nice to have someone to share a cup of coffee with and be a bit more down to earth.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe....thanks Abe. Some would say "uptight" as well as "upright", but I'll be the first to acknowledge that...;)

Elyse said...

Yeah Jamie. I agree. :) Good post.