Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ants & Money

Go to the ant, you sluggard
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.
Proverbs 6:6-8

So here I am at the age of twenty-seven. I've been working at my current job for six years now and what do I have to show for it? Maybe a few thousand in RRSPs and a van. I have dreams of family and kids and a vague plan to own a house but I have little invested towards these goals.

In years past, this was not a concern for me. Even though my parents would mention the topic variously over the years, I would say that they had a good point about saving money whilst I continued on my merry way. Ostensibly, I preferred to spend my money on my friends in an effort to build relationships and perhaps mentor a few young guys. There's nothing wrong with that, right? And if I spend money on a date with my sister or pizza with my brother then so much the better.

Last year, I started to donate money somewhat regularly to the Take It or Leave It program at my church. I saw how well they spent my money and how they stretched every dollar that I donated so I kept doing it. I even toyed with the idea of giving the equivalent of my tithe once a month to this program. That's pretty altruistic, isn't it?

And yet, what is my plan for my future family? To live in an apartment or townhouse because I was too lazy to save more money? If I actually had children, I would never consider spending money on my friends rather than care for the needs of my kids first but here I stand, having done just that. In my dad's words, I am robbing my family.

I could take that a little further, perhaps. One of my main "expenses" is my tithe, the expected ten percent of my gross pay. I have always paid this faithfully, ever since I had a paper route as a tweener and just as my parents taught me. My dad has been reviewing the necessity of tithing (heresy!) and whether or not it's really required, despite what he taught me. His latest idea is that if you tithe ten percent then you should also put the same amount into a savings account for the sake of your family, whether or not you have a family yet. It's something to consider, I s'pose.

My conclusion was never that saving is bad or that I shouldn't do it. I have always agreed that saving is good and necessary, I have just never done it. This year, I hope to change that and save a pretty good chunk of my gross income. I'm already making good progress towards that goal without killing my "doodad" expenses but we'll see how that goes. At minimum, I would caution my younger friends not to make the same mistake I made and have so little to offer your family in the future.

After all, I suppose it is better to be an ant than a slug.

7 comments:

Battle said...

How long have your friends that you've been spending money on told you not to spend so much money? I can think of several instances where joel, ariel and myself have given you this speach. I'm glad that you've decided to stop destroying your financial life. But thanks once again for all the pizza.

solnechko said...

definitely... i mean, are slugs aren't even insects.

anyway... good thoughts... insightful... wish you luck with that. maybe you could match your contribution to your family to whatever you have to give the government.

and i wish i'd have known i could get in on some free pizza before you mended your ways...

Abe said...

It's interesting what questions arise when you making saving money into a moral concept. For example, where does the government or banks invest your money? Are the companies invested in, that allow you to save, committing immoral acts? And, where do we draw the line between finding pleasure in this life and being financially responsible? This is an extrapolation of the question of whether we should spend every second of our day volunteering at a retirement home, or if we're morally allowed to play basketball now and then. And, how much money should we give to charity? If people are dying of hunger how can we save for retirement? Traditional Christianity, influenced by liberalism, says that we take care of our own soul first, then take care of others. Is there another way? Tough issues.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Heh. Sure, I've heard this speech from my friends and I believe my first response was "Bah!" My second response was, "Sure, you're right." In any case, my savings didn't grow.

Abe, you have many fine questions and I'm sure we could add more to that list. For now, I think I'll stick with the one I'm being convicted on and go from there.

Anonymous said...

There's a difference between being responsible with one's resources and hoarding. Sadly, much of what is considered making wise, and moral, financial decisions (RRSPs, saving for a house, saving for retirement, etc.) falls into the second category -- at least if we take Jesus' teachings on money seriously (Mt 5-7 comes to mind immediately).

Who cares if you and your family live in a townhouse? Hell, I'll push it one step further and say it's probably a more Christ-like thing to live in a crappy little basement apartment, in a crappy little neighbourhood, than it is to hoard the kind of money needed to own a house (after all, let's remember what the Bible also teaches about debt).

Peace.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Hi Dan!

Anonymous said...

hmmm. maybe if we tithe our money we should tithe our time too. God can get 2.4 hours (or 2h 24min) every day of my time. or... if it's a gross/net type of thinking... then maybe just 1.6 hours (1h 36min) ... like just 10% of the time i spend awake. ...or maybe i should give to God the equivalent of what I work every day... like 40 hours a week. ... i wonder how God would like me to use the time that I give him...prayer? serving? bible study? hmm