Monday, February 13, 2006

Power Packed Weekend

This past Thursday I continued my snowboarding lessons with my Little. Thanks to some miscommunication, we started our lessons two weeks after everyone else. Since this was the fifth week for most of the students, the teachers persuaded us to move from the bunny hill to the "big" hill. And by "big" I mean the hill named "Easy." We had to take the chair lift up, which was a somewhat nerve-wracking experience for me and my Little since neither of us likes heights. After a serious fall or two and then a break for snacks, we headed back up the hill and by the end of the night we were doing fairly well on our own. I was still sore for a few days afterwards, natch.

On Friday night, Exodus in Peril had a "Metal for Missions" concert at Glad Tidings. They had six bands in the basement of the church with a full mosh pit and all that. I took my Little there for his first official concert and I also brought along his thirteen year old brother and another very young guy. I put my Little on my shoulders and we jumped into the frothing mosh pit twice, with me taking all of the hits whilst my Little stayed safely above the kids. I wasn't planning on attending at first but the main reason I went was to show the thirteen year-old guy that Christians can have really heavy music and can be cool. Mission accomplished and Exodus has now gained several new fans. Who needs Anarchy when you can have Christ? (That's not pithy but I couldn't figure out an alternative "A" word.)

Congratulations to Ariel Terry. He managed to get a very nice little apartment right next to Open Door Church with full amenities. He's still job hunting but at least part of his plans are starting to fall into place.

I was playing percussion at GTA (Glad Tidings) this past weekend. We're gradually working through the Bible this year and we did Job this time. We had the requisite set of hilarious videos and special songs. I got to play tambourine and sing harmony for the song at the end, "When the Tears Fall" by Tim Hughes, although some of you may know the song as recorded by Newsboys. Due to the topic matter and discussing the tragedies of life, it was pretty emotional for a lot of people but I hope that they came away from the service inspired.

To finish off the weekend, Andrea and I went over to Sam and Wendy's home on Sunday evening. We managed to cram in two complete games of Settlers in less than two and a half hours, which is amazing. I was second last in the first game and second in the second game. The epitomy of mediocrity. While I beat Andrea in the first game, in the second game I was waiting with the winning points in my hand and Andrea won the game just two turns before me. So the men in the game officially lost to the two women, so some would say that all is right with the world. Others might not say that. :)

No comments: