Thursday, September 6, 2007

Five Things I Didn't Learn In Sunday School

This past year has been a fascinating time for me. Scattered amongst the rubble of changes in my life, I accidentally uncovered nuggets of truth. My perspective as a Christian has been molded and reformed in dozens of new ways and my spiritual life has taken on a very different shape. Here are a few pieces that I have picked up along the way. I assume that even these things will be torn down as I continue on this particular journey...

1. Christian Business
I've encountered several versions of what a "Christian Business" or a "Christian Entrepreneur" should look like, at least five flavours by my count. The idea of merging my faith with my profession always seemed like a lofty ideal and...yeah, pretty much. I'm a lot more cynical about anyone mentioning how God leads business decisions, or how business policies reflect Biblical values, or how a business will be used as a ministry. The most effective Christian businessman that I have known, in terms of reaching people for Christ, doesn't even bother to mix business with faith. Ministry just happens because of who they are, not by professional design. Build a box for faith and watch it falter...

2. God's Plans
Ah, the mysteries of life. It's been a roller coaster ride for me this year, and I have a couple of friends who redefined what that "roller coaster" analogy even means. Things that seemed to be so clearly within God's will fall apart and things that we desperately wish for will fade away. And conversely, dreams that are too good to imagine will come out of nowhere to become reality. Figuring out the theology and logic behind it makes us either confused or hurt, and it doesn't really get us anywhere. Better to go with the flow, in the hands of You Know Who.

3. Legalism & Assumptions
House of Cards, eh? Tithing, Sunday services, paid ministers, church buildings, subtle judgments, spiritual covering, anti-Biblical teaching, etc. So many of my precious ideas about Christianity, the things that I held true for so long and defended with such vigour, were wrong. Not just wrong but even destructive. It's insane to realize how little I still know about any of this God stuff...

2. This Holy Spirit Person
My assumptions about baptism of the Holy Spirit have been shown as cheap trinkets of knowledge. Following the leading of the Holy Spirit daily, looking for him to direct each of my conversations and prayers and actions...it's so foreign to me. And this is coming from the free-flow Spirit-led heart-of-worship guy that I am. What comes so easily to me within the realm of worship music seems so unattainable in my regular life. And yet, with insightful examples and stories from certain key friends, I find that it's something that I really desire. My silly brain just gets in the way a lot...

1. Relationship
My relationship with Cam ("Hi Cam!") has revealed much to me about my relationship with God. The passion and admiration and love that I have for her has become a mirror of my heart with God. To know and love God personally, to have a relationship with him...it's such a common phrase for us modern "anti religion" believers. And compared to this earthly relationship of mine, I realize how hollow and superficial my relationship with God is. And yet I find that it inspires me and makes me yearn for more of God. Amazing.

Everything I know I learned in Sunday School. And everything I am learning is tearing that down. God is tearing me down, piece by piece, and making me into a new kind of person.

3 comments:

David Grant said...

Interesting numbering system. Something else you didn't learn in kindergarten? :)

Jamie A. Grant said...

My numbering scheme is unintentionally hilarious, by the way. Apparently I skipped kindergarden...

And yes, I'm leaving that way instead of editing it. 'S funny!

Anonymous said...

haha! I didn't even notice...even after reading pa's comment. I'm so dense!!