Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Love Like This

Patiently, passionately have I waited.
Carefully, quietly have I longed.
To find my star, the light of my life.
To free my soul, to finally let go.
To give myself away.

Mysteriously, miraculously has she come.
Hopefully, helpfully did she approach.
To see my heart, to know my thoughts.
To pierce my heart, to take me in.
To love all of me.


I have heard of this kind of love, in fairy tales and from aged couples. The kind of love that is so honest and free, so intense and empassioned, so easy and innocent, so crazy and wise. The kind of love for Happily Ever After. The kind of love that makes a couple still gaze into each other's eyes so deeply after the years have gone. The kind of love that burns instantly and explodes brilliantly, like a supernova that shines across millions of years.

I have heard of this love and it's unfathomable but I have found it. No, that's not it. I didn't find this love, this love has found me. I found her and she found me.

On Sunday August twenty-fourth of two thousand and seven, I asked Cam M. N. Tran to marry me. She accepted.

The Saturday beforehand, I began to make preparations. I spoke to my mom and then later to my dad to tell them I was going to ask The Question. As I predicted, my mom's first reaction was to slap me hard in the arm, immediately following that with a big hug and much excitement. My dad responded by saying, "It's about time!" and then offering some sage advice.

On Sunday afternoon at four o'clock in the afternoon, I arrived at Cam's apartment. I had purchased six dozen roses and I placed them with the vase on the floor in front of her door. I knocked and then scurried around the corner. Cam looked through the peephole and saw no one, so she opened the door and was greeted by an abundance of flowers.

I then stepped out from around the corner, we entered her apartment and she stared in amazement at this bouquet. It included five dozen red roses and one dozen white roses, plus baby's breath and green leaves among the petals. The florist said this was the single biggest collection of roses that she had ever prepared and she was surprised that she even managed to fit them all into the vase.


Once we were inside, Cam and I sat down on the couch. She laid in my arms while still focusing on the roses. I then read a long love letter than I had written. I have written her many love letters and a few poems and songs before but this was the first time that I had read one aloud to her. And at the end of the letter, I asked The Question.
"Will you marry me?"

She had suspected that I might ask her soon but she was surprised none the less. "Really? Is this really happening?", she asked. And she immediately answered yes, and then yes again, and then yes again and again...

The previous Friday marked two months since our first date. Initially, she thought that my letter and the roses were intended to celebrate that milestone. However, I had gotten her three roses on that day to mimic the three roses from our first date so this extravagent gesture was fairly unexpected.

After enjoying an hour together by ourselves, it was time to start sharing this crazy news! The remainder of the evening was a whirlwind of phone calls and driving. We informed our parents and our siblings. I even made a direct call to South Korea on my cell phone so that I could speak to my sister. Then we went to St. Thomas so we could each inform Lori, who was the friend that used to work with both of us and had played match maker. After we left Lori and Brooke to finish their bath, Cam and I had dinner in St. Thomas together.

Then we returned to London and we made an impromptu visit with Tara for a bit because she is a good friend to each of us. Many phone calls and other visits ensued for the rest of the evening and over the next two days. It all culminated with changing our official Facebook relationship status and now, this blog. Heh.

There is one more amusing note about this story. I was writing my love letter earlier on that Sunday afternoon. As is my habit, I e-mailed the document to myself so that I could go and print it from the main computer in my house. After sending the file and checking my inbox, I came to a sudden realization: I had accidentally sent the e-mail to Cam instead!

Slightly panicked as I realized my error, I immediately phoned her and asked her not to check her e-mail account. She actually had her e-mail open at the time but she had not received my mistaken missive yet so she complied and closed her browser. Wow, I just barely averted that crisis. The e-mail in question was entitled "The Question" and the document attachment was named "Engagement.doc." Good thing I got away with that one!


Now to answer all of the persistant questions...
No, she does not have a ring yet. She preferred to select one with me but we'll have one on her left hand soon enough. Pictures will be posted at that point, naturally.

No, we do not have a date set yet. We're considering at least one year away, possibly more.

No, we have not decided on any of the million other decisions related to weddings. We are aware of these things, especially since we have several friends that recently became engaged as well, but we'll take our time and enjoy each other for now.


If you're interested in learning more about how we got together, you can read my blog and her blog. To all of my friends and family, thank you so much for the warm wishes and encouragement and excitement and love.

And Cam, I love you so much. The depth of your beauty draws me in, a light that is fully radiant in spirit, soul and body. I am amazed by you, by simply who you are. And I want to be with you, each day and forever.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I could hear this love story a million times and it's just as touching as the first. Congratulations! :)
~L

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys!!!
I am so happy for both of you.

Cam said...

You could say that again... "WOW!!!" I love how romantic you are : ) I could add the poem to my collection of gifts from you. Beautifully written Jamie, so wonderful.

Your Mom hitting you in the arm... LMAO, s'funny! Your parents are so great!

Re: Wedding planning, in time this will fall into place, right now, I'm embracing the breathless moment : )

Yes, THANK YOU EVERYONE! All the congratulations and moments of excitement have made this time so happy for us. (Thanks Lori! You are an amazing friend. Thanks ~L hearing your voice was s'lovely : )

I can't express how much you mean to me, you are my world, my future, and I'm looking forward to spending the rest of my days with the man of my dreams... I love you Jamie.

“A love like this”… could only happen once in a lifetime.

Steve Pye said...

YAY! Congrats to both of you! But I'd have to disagree with the idea that "It's about time" because I think engagements should really be referred to as "It's about timing"... Trying to plan things and make sure everything goes smoothly, especially if you have to take uncontrollable factors into consideration (as was my case with trying to do it at sunset on a beach and still have it appear to be just some spontaneous activity). I'm glad everything went well... blessings to you both!

Anonymous said...

What a great story to tell your future children....no pressure! Enjoy the engagement, then enjoy the wedding, then enjoy every minute of your future together - congrats to both of you! Jamie, I'm so happy for you!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm Soooo happy for you!!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

wow Jamie u are extremly romantic, good job cam for bringing all these amazing gifts out of the closet, i will have to rent him to be my speech writer for romantic letters...its pure gold.congrads of course, enjoi every moment.
Jason

Lori said...

Jamie, I have always known you to be romantic - I could always tell, and Cam - you so are too! A match made in heaven, this news is so uplifting it makes me smile everytime I think of you both. I feel so at peace knowing you both are together because Jamie - you deserve a woman like Cam and Cam, you deserve a guy like Jamie. You both are extradorinary people and to eachother you are a reflection of that. Love you guys!

Mike said...

Congratulations, man. Your world must be glowing right now.

Abe said...

Great story! You make the rest of us look bad with your 72 roses.

Anonymous said...

Wow Jamie I'm so happy for you, congrats on your engagement. It's so nice to see people in love and happy. I wish you both all the very best that life has to offer.
Cheers,
Amanda Jayne

Cam said...

The ring to seal the deal... http://cammntran.blogspot.com/2007/09/absolutely-brilliant.html