Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Top Ten Movies of 2012

This is my ninth annual Top Ten list. Since my daughter Jade came long in 2011, movie time has been a little more limited. I still make a point of hitting the theatres with Cam or with friends for the big blockbusters, or watching a movie (quietly) at home with Cam. Jade's not quite ready for pizza-and-movie nights yet. ;)


There are a number of big movies that were released around Christmas just in time for Oscar season that I haven't seen yet. So this year, I am presenting my usual Top Ten List alongside my Top Ten Wish List. I figure that a few of my Wish List items will easily make it into my main list once I've caught up on all of them.

As before, this list only accounts for movies that were officially released in 2012. I saw 34 new releases in all this year. There are exactly 99 movies on my complete wish list. (I doubt I will see all of those in my lifetime!) Here we go...

Top Ten List

[10] Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Link)
Spielberg's Lincoln is on my Wist List but is an acceptable replacement, right? Sure, it's not a high brow movie but the mash-up concept worked surprisingly well. Not only that but I actually did learn some actual history along the way. Entertaining and educational? It's true - but really, it just squeaks onto my list 'cause I loved the silliness and ax swinging.

[9] End Of Watch (Link)
I have described this to friends as the best episode of COPS ever. Two best friends and partners and the world they face, complete with car-cam and shoulder-cam point-of-view. The core friendship defines the movie but it has some stomache-punch moments that give it plenty of weight. This one sticks in my mind pretty clearly even though I watched it months ago.

[8] Prometheus (Link)
Yes, this is clearly a prequel to the ALIEN series, regardless of advance subterfuge on that matter. The absolute best thing about the movie is the character and performance done by Michael Fassbender (of X-Man: First Class fame). It's about near-future astronauts exploring a new planet and the alien hijinks that ensue. It's a little preposterous and it leaves many questions unanswered but since there's a setup for a sequel that's fine by me.

[7] Trouble With The Curve (Link)
This may be a slight movie in some ways but it hit my sweet spot with ease. It's about high school baseball scouting mixed with Moneyball commentary, laid on top of a strong father-daughter story. And since that father-daughter combo is played by a crochety Clint Eastwood and a tough-but-damaged Amy Adams, it all comes together perfectly. I'll even buy the much-too-charismatic Justin Timberlake as the daughter's love interest since his one-liners did make me laugh a few times. And yes, I did refer to this movie as "slight" because of the mustache-twirling villain and the ending but it still resonated with me.

[6] The Expendables 2 (Link)
I loved the first flick and this one outdoes it in every way. The first time I saw it, the one-liners and call-outs to previous movies by the various big-name co-stars was downright annoying. After I re-watched it, though, the blend of standard action movie jokes and straight-up fight scenes worked much better for me. I've been more of a fan of Van Damme since he did JCVD and he was an excellent villain to root against. And while I won't spoil it, the main guest star was awesome.

[5] Skyfall (Link)
It's the first Bond movie to cross the billion dollar mark worldwide and it hits every note perfectly. Some friends said that they're not fans of the specific call-outs to past Bond movies since this is technically supposed to be a reboot of the franchise but that's one of the reasons that I loved this movie. The way I see it, this is an "alternate history" version of Bond and we can imagine Daniel Craig completing similar missions and using similar gadgets to former movies. The villain was perfectly cast (even if the hair was distracting) and the central plot was very personal in several different ways. I actually rated this as my top Bond movie ever, which is heresy in most circles but I like to be hyperbolical like that.

[4] The Dark Knight Rises (Link)
This is the conclusion to Christopher Nolan's much praised trilogy. While the second movie is head and shoulders above anything else, this was a fitting end (even if was a tad bloated). In particular, the way that it retraces themes from the first two movies was superb. I felt like Michael Caine's character was underused but his character arc across the three movies was satisfying. Likewise, I enjoyed the characters and work done by Gary OldmanAnne Hathaway (as Catwoman) and Joseph Gorden-Levitt. I disliked the stupid voice that they used for Bane though the actual character was a fantastic interpretation of the original comic character. I actually saw the early preview that was attached to the IMAX version of Mission Impossible and that was thrilling but that voice was ridiculous even then. And like everyone else, I tried to predict some of the plot twists (especially since I know the complete comic backstory) and I was still fooled - which was  both a good thing and a bad thing, since the final reveals were a little silly in the end. If this movie does indeed setup the future JLA movie, I will absolutely be on board with that.

[3] The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Link)
Man, the fanboy backlash against this movie has been unreal. The original LOTR trilogy faced tough critics from longtime fans of the original book, but this Hobbit series faces that same group plus more recent fans of the LOTR movies. And if it wasn't hard enough to live up to the standard of the original Hobbit book and the previous movies, they also decided to split this new story into three movies rather late in the process. I absolutely disagree with any and all fanboys (and fangirls) that criticize this first movie because of those types of comparisons. As a fan myself, I'm just glad that I get to enjoy three new movies in this world. I'm actually a little sad to see relatively lower box office returns for this movie, which I attribute to this type of kneejerk critical reaction that sprouted before anyone even saw the movie.

I watched this new movie in 3D with 48fps (which was another focus of complaints) and I loved both the movie itself and the new film format. The effect of watching large scenes or camera pans was so smooth and it really improved the 3D experience. I expected the movie to meander but the only part that really dragged was the beginning. Everything else was one fun scene after another. The CGI was piled on too heavily at times but core story and the handful of central characters were lots of fun. I can't wait for the next one!

[2] Looper (Link)
As I've said many time during these yearly summaries, I love me some sci-fi and Looper was about as ideal a time-travel story as I've seen. The way that the time travel headaches came together was awesome - both in terms of straight logic and in terms of the emotional pay-off. My only minor quibble would be how different the two lead actors looked. Even so, this movie has so many scenes that are indelibly seared into my memory that it was easy to put this movie so high on my list.

[1] The Avengers (Link)
Sooooooooo good! This was the ultimate movie universe (pun intended for comic geeks) and a massive gamble for Marvel Studios. In my estimation, the majority of the credit for the success of this move belongs to Joss Whedon and everything he did was writer and director. I'm a long-time comic geek the largest portion of my 3000+ comics is from Marvel and this movie was my fondest wish come true. The various crowds that I saw it with absolutely roared during all the right moments ("puny god") and this was an incredible crowd-pleaser in terms of emotional content, humour and action. Loved it!


I have a few special categories to finish off this (admittedly lengthy) blog post...

Biggest waste of time: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Link)
I honestly like Nicholas Cage as an actor and I was hopeful that this would improve on the first one but this sucked terribly. And the joke about the flame thrower was insidiously stupid.

Best Chick Flick: The Vow (Link)
Actually, this was my only chick flick up until these holidays. It does a really nice job of going left when I expect it to go right. It had it's share of cliches but it also avoided many obvious routes during the film and I appreciated that. I also liked the fact that it's inspired by a true story.

Most Disappointing: The Amazing Spider-Man (Link)
I liked it fine during my initial viewing but I recently re-watched it with my wife and it did not hold up well at all. Everything in this universe somehow relates to Peter Parker. The Lizard is a terribly conceived character with infantile motivational twists and I did not buy how much access Gwen Stacey had at the labs. I liked the charm of the two leads but my wife disliked that part as well. Ugh. This just keeps going down in my estimation. I doubt that Jamie Foxx will be able to save the next movie when he comes in as the villain Electro.

References:
Top GrossingMovies of 2012

My Previous Top Ten Lists:
2004200520062007200820092010 & 2011


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For seemingly agreeing on the majority of movies, I find your top 10 dreadful. The Expenables 2? I couldn't even finish watching the first one so chancing the second, I did not.

I had mixed feelings about Trouble With The Curve. Eastwood was typical Eastwood, not that there's anything wrong with that. But Adams clearly carried the show. Timberlake was just fancy-pants along for the ride.

Skyfall: Seeing as I thought it was the second Bond with Daniel Craig, I'm obviously out of step with the Bond franchise. I still favor the first Bond with Craig, whatever it was called.

The Dark Knight Rises was awesome. And I fully enjoyed Bane's voice. In fact, I didn't realize there was something not to like about it until all the talk about it came out. Bane was what made me love the movie. Move over, Batman!

Looper was meh. JGL was pro and I fully support whatever he does, and if he chooses to pro-ly become Bruce Willis, have at it. He did a great young Willis. Was there other stuff in the movie besides JGL? If there was, I didn't notice.

My Top 10, not in any particular order, because I can't commit like that.

The Impossible: The eldest son was perfectly cast and took over the movie. Cry, cry, cry is all I did. And that means it's good.

Dark Knight Rises: Bane.

Snow-White and the Huntsman: I wanted to watch it again, right after. Steward as Snow? Good. Thor as Huntsman? Good. Theron as Witch? Fantastic.

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter: Well, obviously anything with vampires or zombies will score. And brutal beatings and killings? Awesome.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World: Ever since Dan in Real Life, I've had a real soft spot for Steve Carell. And he delivered the charming, sweet but lost, middle aged man with perfection once again. And surprisingly I didn't hate whats-her-face.

Django: I don't get what all the controversy was about. A movie about black people and white people? Oh no! But Tarantino did a stellar job at not pussy-footing around the issue. I like a dude who can tell it like it is. And yes, lots of classic red blood and lots of "i can't watch this" was to be had. DiCaprio et al did a fine, fine job. And I highlight DiCaprio because I feel like he's gone unnoticed with all the buzz about the movie. And he shouldn't be unnoticed because he was a great bad guy.

The Lucky One: I hate to say it but I LOVED this movie. Ephron was fan-freaking-tastic as the mysterious man we (all woman in the world) grew to adore. Now I'm a super Ephron fan-girl. What?! Whatever, non-vulgar chick-flicks were hard to come by this year so this one takes it all.

The Lorax: I didn't see this movie until months after the release. Terrific as all animations built for adult-audiences should be.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: It's been awhile since I've seen it, but if I remember, the boy was very good at being the boy in search of his identity. And Bullock was great. And Hanks was great. And all the characters were strong and purposeful. Well done.

The Grey: Liam Neeson being his Neesony self. I like the whole idea of survival, and mixed with nature made for an entertaining time. And entertainment is all I'm ever after.

The End.

~L

Mike said...

Django Unchained
Lincoln
(gap)
The Avengers
(gap)
Dark Knight Rises

Jamie A. Grant said...

@L - Wow, that was like a blog post of your own!

Re: Seeking A Friend
I loved this movie. Such a quirky look at end-of-the-world stuff, even if there are various movies along those lines recently. I, too, love Steve Carrell ever since Dan In Real Life.

Re: Snowwhite/Huntsman
I enjoyed it and it made serious box office. However, I couldn't help but feel that Huntsman was just a Thor re-tread. Infinitely better than Mirror, Mirror anyway.

A couple of your picks were form 2011, I think, like Incredibly Close.

Good list, L!

Jamie A. Grant said...

@L and @Mike
You both seemed to like Django. I just saw it and I'm wrestling with the idea that it might be my #1. However, I have all those movies to catch up on from my Wish List, so I think that I'll make a brand-new Top 10 once I've done that. Nicely done, you two!

Anonymous said...

I do believe Extremely Loud came out in January 2012 in Canada.

And I dare say Django is my number one for the year. It has to be. The movie had my complete attention from the very first second. Although, to be fair, there were some instances when I was pulled back into reality with the Tarantino director shots. For example, extreme/shaky/fast close-up of the intro to DiCaprio's character. At that moment I was like, "Really Quentin? Really? Can't you just not be Quentin for one second?" But then again, the movie wouldn't have been as good as it was if it wasn't his movie. But yes, number 1 spot.
~L