Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Top Ten Wish List of 2012

As I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't get the chance to see all of the end-of-year movies that I would have liked. With that in mind, I am adding a bonus feature this year: my Top Ten wish list of movies from 2012 that I still intend to see.


[1] Django Unchained (Link)
I can usually handle only one viewing of any Tarantino movie due to the graphic violence and language but I still make a point of seeing them anyway. This is a potential Top Ten pick for me.

[2] Cloud Atlas (Link)
Crazy era-skipping sci-fi with Tom Hanks and Halle Berry playing numerous roles. It should be a mind-bender and it could make it onto my Top Ten list but I doubt it will approach my appreciation for Looper.

[3] Wreck-It Ralph (Link)
Ooh yeah! Lots of nostalgic video game fun. I even have the old-school video game on our iPad and it's somewhat addictive. If you're a fan of this type of thing, then I would also recommend the book Ready Player One, which was my favourite book of the past year.

[4] The Raid: Redemption (Link)
This is supposedly the top action flick of the past year, bar none. We shall see. I could see this knocking Expendables off of my Top Ten list. I also want to see the new Dredd movie at some point.

[5] Les Misérables (Link)
I always remember my mom reading this book on a yearly basis in the original French 'cause she loves it so much. I have not read the book or seen the musical so I only know about it through general pop culture. We'll see if it impacts me as much and gets into my Top Ten list.

[6] Jack Reacher (Link)
This is the latest action series by Tom Cruise, based on a pulp book series. Despite the fact that Cruise is physically nothing like the original character in the book, the director (McQuarrie) is the reason that action fans are giving such high recommendations for this under-the-radar December release.

[7] Argo (Link)
This one is acclaimed everywhere and I almost guarantee that it will land in my Top Ten list in the end. The faux-Hollywood sci-fi film and the real-life Canadian contribution are just a bonus for me.

[8] Lincoln (Link)
This is up for various Oscars and there are supposed to be incredible performances by Daniel Day-LewisSally Field and Tommy Lee Jones. The title role was originally supposed to be played by Liam Neeson, which is when Sally Field was attached. Later on, Day-Lewis stepped into the role and Sally Field has at least 10 years on him in terms of age but Field kicked Spielberg's ass and insisted that she was still the best woman for the role. ;) This could land on my Top Ten list.

[9] Life Of Pi (Link)
This one's pushing the limits of 3D and it has rave reviews. I own the book so I should get around to reading it sometime. Potential Top Ten? Doubt it but we'll see.

[10] Seven Psychopaths (Link)
This one will hit my funny bone just right. And it terms of comedies this past year, the pickings were quite slim. I enjoyed the absurdity of The Campaign but I strongly assume that this movie will be my fav comedy of the year - though unlikely to make my Top Ten list.

I would also add special mentions for Zero Dark ThirtyThe Master and Goon.

1 comment:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Here is my revised Top 10 List for 2012 now that I got a chance to catch up most of my Wish List items...

1. Django Unchained
2. The Avengers
3. Life Of Pi
4. Looper
5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Skyfall
8. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Cloud Atlas
10. Lincoln