Friday, August 20, 2004

Bought the Farm

My family is moving into our new home on Saturday August 21, 2004. We start packing the U-Haul between 8:00 and and 8:30 am. We plan to be done the bulk of it by 1:00 pm because the U-Haul needs to be back by 2:00 pm. We would certainly appreciate the help of anyone who cares to join us. In particular, we have limited number of able-bodied guys so strong young men would be appreciated. We're supplying pizza afterwards to fulfill the cliche. Don't ya just love cheap labour?

My thanks to anyone that would have liked to have helped but will be busy or away that day.

My brother and I have a new phone number that will be activated on Saturday as well. Our new phone number is (519) ???-???? but it's not guaranteed until it's actually turned on. Don't worry about forgetting it, our old phone number will have a message for the next month directing the caller to our new number.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck with moving. It sounds so exciting to move to a farm!

I always wondered where "bought the farm" came from. It's sort of a dead metaphor (nobody knows what it means anymore), but I know it refers to death or something...hmmm... Anyway in your case it's a good thing so I'll leave it at that!
Cheers,

Aleah said...

I work until 1pm, but if you need any more people after then, I'll be sure to help if you'd like. Just let me know!

Elyse said...

Congrats! I would have liked to help you guys but we were away until this afternoon. :) I'll see you tomorrow though!

Jamie A. Grant said...

My thanks to everyone that helped us with our move. Everything was perfectly perfect. And thanks to everyone that came out to visit us on Sunday afternoon, it was a lot of fun.

Abe said...

To buy the farm means to die. It's thought that the phrase came from WWII, where a GI's death benefits would allow his family to pay of their house, or farm. So, by dying the GI bought the farm. However, the term "to buy it" referring to death has been around since the early 1800s, long before the term "buying the farm". So, "farm" may just have been a random replacement for "it" that caught on.

Amanda said...

Oh thanks Abe! What a tragic saying. Strange how we can sometimes make jokes about death, perhaps it helps to soften the edges of reality or something.

It's funny how we use saying that we don't understand anymore. Another one would be "pulling out all the stops", which means sort of giving your best effort. The stops refer to pipe organ stops used to dampen the sound, so pulling them all out would really rock the house! Hmmm..perhaps I'll write a blog on this one.
Cheers!