Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Big Brothers

I'm thinking about joining the Big Brothers organization and mentoring a Little Brother. They have a building on Oxford Street that I pass on my way to church on Sunday mornings. It has a sign in front that says there are 75 boys waiting for Big Brothers. I think that this might be right up my alley.

One of my co-workers was a Big Sister so I asked her about it this morning. She said that the screening process is extremely thorough and then they test you quite a bit to match you with a young person. You have to commit to between 3-5 hours a week for at least one year. She did it with one girl for almost a year and half, until her girl reached the age of 16 (which is the age limit for the program). My co-worker said that she's still friends with this girl and they still keep in contact by e-mail.

My interest is piqued. I already think that mentoring/discipleship/coaching is crucial for any young person. In the context of Christianity, I think of it as one of my primary callings in life (another being worship ministry). So, what do y'all think? Does anyone know about the program personally?

11 comments:

Aleah said...

I know nothing about the program. Is it Christian? I don't think it is, but I'm not sure.

I think that's awesome that you want to do that. A lot of people just do things like that just for the hours, but I think your heart is in the right place and you would be a good mentor to someone in need of a good influence. Sweet deal.

Amanda said...

That sounds like a wonderful idea Jamie. It's great to be able to help someone in a very real and personal way. Someday I plan on becoming a girl guide leader.
Cheers!

Jamie A. Grant said...

No, it's not a Christian organization, Aleah. I'm a little concerned about that because I don't if there will be rules forbidding Christian stuff, but I'm hoping/assuming not.

Amanda said...

*just wondering* Why does being a Christian organization matter?

Cheers,

Elyse said...

I don't have any personal experience with the organization but I have heard of it before and I think it sounds really cool!

Jamie A. Grant said...

Shut UP! No way, Laura Mai! That's so crazy.

And where did you come from? Do you have an internet connection now? Hello T.O.

Abe said...

Regardless of their take on religion (ie. if the ban it) I think this is something you should do. It's often something I've considered myself, but I fear I choose to limit my good deeds for the sake of sleep. There are so many kids out there that need positive role models, regardless of if they're witnessing or if they're just showing kindness. Do it up.

Amanda said...

Yes I agree with Abe, that's sort of what I was wondering about, the whole religious aspect. I know there are a lot of ways we can help others in this world and sometimes bringing in religious beliefs can put up barriers. Perhaps we should be like the good Samaritan? Perhaps we can do God's work though good deeds without bringing attention to the fact that we are doing God's work?
Cheers!

Jamie A. Grant said...

Well, I'm not hung up on their policy regarding Christians, hence the reason that I'm looking into this non-Christian organization in the first place. I do think that an anti-Christian policy would say something about the organization, but I'm guessing there is no such problem and it's just a concern that I have invented.

The flip side to what Abe and Amanda said is that I could devote much of my life to many, many excellent non-Christian organizations. Yet if I only did that, what would I be contributing to the local church? Either extreme may be faulty, maybe. It's not a question I take lightly, anyway.

Thanks for your encouragement so far everyone. I intend to contact them this week to follow this up.

Mike said...

Becareful throwing the phrase anti-Christian around, for reasons I've explained before.

If it was your kid in the program, and they had a Muslim Big Brother, would you mind your kid being taught about Islam?

If so, don't call a ban on religious teaching "anti" anything.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Good point, Mike.

I still think that it's a factor that would require some thought. I remember my parents telling me that they tried to adopt two young foster children that we had for a year. My parents were not permitted to do so because they were native indian children. Instead, they were eventually adopted another native indian family. So that's something that I might need to think about.