Friday, November 19, 2004

Student Statistics: Race and Gender

The Toronto Star had this story this morning about a school in Richmond Hill (suburb of Toronto?) that has experimented for the past three years with splitting Grade 7/8 girls and guys for part of each day. The grades for both the girls and boys increased dramatically. They're now considering expanding the program to other grades. Perhaps the ECE and child-care people that read this blog already know this as a matter of fact.

The Toronto Star has also been following this story about a recent vote by the Toronto School Board in which they decided that they would start tracking school statistics by race. It was a very, very close vote and it has sparked much controversy about racial profiling and the like. The twist in this case is that statistics are already available that show that "kids from the Caribbean, Africa and sometimes South America generally do worse than their Canadian-born counterparts." That's what prompted this vote about official statistics in the first place.

I found it interesting that both stories appeared on the front page of the Toronto Star's website this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. I find it very interesting. I specialize in early childhood and have a profound interest in the primary grades so I tend not to pay as much attention to the other age groups (although I probably should since that would make sense). Anyways, a weekend full of reading on Alice in Wonderland ahead of me (Children's lit is great!) and I might check out the parade on Sunday since that seems to be a big deal, so I'll talk to you later!
~Laura