Thursday, March 6, 2008

Solo Like Frodo

Why do we have this tendency to go through life solo? Why do we prefer to struggle through our problems by ourselves? Why do we shun advice and help and experience when we should be seeking these things? Why do we think that we're better off alone?

I just finished watching the super-mega-hyper-extended version of all three Lord Of The Ring movies. (Now with even more false endings!) With the extended and additional scenes, it's now the length of four movies. At one point early on, the Fellowship disbands as they fight a bunch of Orcs and our hero Frodo takes off by himself, only to relent and allow Sam to join him when Sam almost drowns in pursuit. Later on, Gollum manipulates Frodo and gets him to get rid of Sam, only to have Sam come back and save his life after the giant spider attacks him.

In fact, Frodo has a strong tendency to wander off by himself at exactly the worst moments. Repeatedly, he states that this burden is his to bear alone. And yet, he would have drowned and been captured and been eaten a number of times if Sam hadn't caught him. Actually, I always found it annoying that Sam was supposed to look out for Frodo but Sam kept looking after his own butt while Frodo went into trances and walked into danger. You would think that Sam would have learned his lesson after the third time, eh?

The movie culminates with Frodo faltering as he and Sam ascend Mount Doom. Sam gives his Oscar-worthy speech about strawberries and better times, and then he lifts Frodo onto his back and starts to walk a mile up a smokin' hot mountain. That brave gardener must have been lifting weights back in the Shire or something. (Yes, I found that part hard to believe but the wizards and the all-seeing eye were just fine.)

My point is that going through life alone sucks. We might think that we're better off tackling our troubles by ourselves but that's just not true. Ever. More likely, we'll get caught in a trance of self pity and we'll get chomped by a Nazgul. Or we'll get lost in the barrens and we'll keep returning to the same spot again and again. We will sit there and suck our thumb, and we will despair and lose hope. We will look into the dark night and fail to see the stars and we will forget that dawn is coming soon.

Everyone needs a friend to lean on, everyone needs a helping hand. "Everybody needs somebody sometime..." (C'mon now, sing it!) We need to let people into our lives, instead of blocking them out. We need somebody to raise our head up and encourage us. We need to have a friend that can tell us what we don't want to hear but what we need to hear, that will help protect us. We need a friend that will walk beside us, in good times and bad. We need our friends.

Friends are precious. Yes...my Precious...

5 comments:

Cam said...

lol who knew after watching the many hours of LOTR's you'd have a blog about it. I agree with most your points here, having a friend to share your life with is more enjoyable then not however having a friend tell you something you don't want to hear... not so much for me.

I want my friends to help and protect me but that doesn't mean I want them to tell me what to do. I may ask for their advice but I also like making my own decisions and learning from my mistakes without my friends saying "I said so".

I have great friends who have seen me make crappy decisions in my life but they're always there when I need them. It would be a lot of work for one friend to keep an eye on you, that's why having a few come in handy. "Share the load"

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Giving and receiving are two sides of the same coin. Some people are great givers and yet poor receivers. That tends to keep them at a distance and lets them feel in control. They resist receiving because they don't want to feel obligated to anyone.

Others are great receivers, maybe even black holes. If you give these people $100 month for a year and fail to give them anything in the 13th month they will be angry at you.

Giving is not something to be done without care and wisdom. It is possible to give in such a way as to make others dependent. Giving to a beggar can possibly keep the beggar poor. "Give a man a fish and he will ask you for a fish tomorrow. Give (teach and provide the fishing rod) and he will provide for his own family and not need you. He may want you as a friend, which is much different than needing you.

Receiving requires humility and thankfulness. Cultivating friendships that actually strengthen who you are is time well invested.

Giving and receiving requires vulnerability but should not attack personal autonomy. The greatest givers have learned to be the greatest receivers of time, wisdom and money because that means they will have more to give away.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Some people like to learn the hard way. And sometimes, people learn the hard way that "learning the hard way" isn't always the best way to learn. ;)

Lori said...

I am getting better at receiving but there was a time when I was very much afraid to be obligated to anyone because I felt emotionally and mentally drained. Now, I'm working on the thankfulness, well that part is easier than humility. I tend to be more on the side of self depreciating - I go back and forth - it's hard to find the middle ground.