Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Life Together

As a newlywed, I have found that my entire perspective on life has changed quite dramatically. It's like I was wandering in the dark by moonlight and the sun has risen. It's like I was severely near-sighted (as I actually am) and now I have better than 20/20 vision. It's not that life itself has changed but now I can see so much more of it.

Not only can I see more but I also see things differently. Through the lens of my relationship with my wife Cam, everything is transformed. How I see myself, how I know God, how I value friendships, how I look at marriages... I feel like I was an ant that was surrounded by these gigantic things and I suddenly grew into a man that could hold these same things in my hand. My life will never be the same and it's amazing and incredible and miraculous.

As I go along, I am planning to write about a few concepts that I have learned that have really helped me understand the dynamics of relationships, in particular romantic relationships. It's interesting to discuss these things with my friends and discover how diverse we are, how unique each couple is and how different our ideas are. Hopefully you'll enjoy my thoughts on these matters and maybe you'll even find some of these things practical and useful in your own life. In return, you're welcome to share and contribute your own wisdom and experience...

4 comments:

Tamrah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Glad to hear that married life is going well. You'll have to give me the heads up as I'm soon headed down that road myself. I have many questions and worries as I enter into this whole new way of being with someone and starting a family of my own. Lots to think about. I look forward to more of your thoughts on this topic.
Cheers,
Amanda Jayne.

Lawyer Kid said...

I'm interested in reading same, because I really don't understand your first paragraph...haha!

I'm not sure if you can explain in the comments section, or if it requires a full blog, but impressive metaphors aside...I'm gonna need some help.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Tamrah, thanks for adding your own thoughts to this. I think it's quite clear that you and your husband really enjoy your married life together and that's always nice to see...

Amanda Jayne, nice to hear form you. Yep, there's a lot to consider when it comes to having a healthy marriage. Cam and I were both somewhat older when we got married so that maturity gave us a head start. In addition, we had some great pre-marital counseling and there were a few books that really helped usunderstand what we were getting into. I'll be diving into some of those things soon...

And Joel, my old friend, waddayamean? I was alittle too obscure for you? ;) Actually, those "impressive analogies" are the closest I could come to describing how I feel about life and my wife. I'll be more practical as I get into this more but I just wanted to get some of those feelings down before I began...