Thursday, November 18, 2004

If A Tree Falls and Swears and No One Heard It...

ABC airs the shows Monday Night Football and Desperate Housewives, so this past Monday they had a bit of cross-promotion between the shows. The opening for Monday Night Football had one of the star football players, Terrell Owens, accosted in the locker room before the game by an actress who plays one of the characters from Desperate Housewives. He is supposed to go out to play the game and, with a view of the woman's back, you see her take off her towel and suggest that they play hooky together.

Like the Janet Jackson Reveal during the Superbowl half-time show, there were many complaints files and ABC officially apologized. The story is described here.

Now, I read an interesting commentary about this. Anyone know who Mark Cuban is? He's the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, an upper-tier team in the NBA. He's also fantastically rich from his various technology-related companies and he is notoriously outspoken.

He posted some comments on his blog regarding this event, dubbing it an "apologevent." (Clever, but doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.) He thanked the FCC for cracking down on bad broadcasting behaviour like this because the FCC unintentionally became a publicity partner, garnering more coverage for both shows then they would have gotten by themselves.

The part I was most interested in was that he pointed out that "fake naked" and "fake swearing" is a laughable standard. If you don't swear but instead use an acronym or a common synonym and the person who reads or hears you immediately understands that you actually meant the explicit swear word, then did you swear? The list of banned swear words is shorter than it used to be (as decided by the FCC or whomever), but cute derivations of banned swear words are usually fair game on television and radio networks.

It's an idea that I think applies to those of us that do not approve of swearing. Just because we use Eminem-style half-silent swears or acronyms for swear words, if the purpose is to swear and to make others think of the actual swear words, then what's the point of camouflaging?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

When it comes to swearing I do think that slang is just as bad.

I don't even say "Gosh Darn" or anything else like that because to me it means the same thing.

I don't know, maybe this makes my language a bit more plain and less exciting or something. I just find that it sounds really unprofessional to use language like that (swears or fake swears).

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, it's about friggin' time we started gleaning such dang good insights. I mean, geez, you make a heck of a good point here.
;)
Dan

Jamie A. Grant said...

Dan is mocking this post but I'm not sure why. He can feel free to do so, of course. Dan, for various reasons, decided that he can freely swear though he usually prefers not to. Amanda came to the exact opposite conclusion and prefers to avoid even the pretense of swearing. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Oh no.

Please don't read what I'm saying as mocking. I was just playing. I didn't mean it depricatingly... "affectionately" would probably be closer to the feelings I had when I wrote it. *Sigh,* that's part of the problem with communicating only through writing with a person I hardly know...

So please, don't think I was out to mock you, I really wasn't. I thought you did write a good post and I just thought it would be funny to post a comment like my previous one. I really am genuinely sorry if it offended you.

Jamie A. Grant said...

No offense taken, comment as you please. I did see the ;) symbol which indicated friendly humour. I also scanned for sarcasm (a la Simpsons) and it was replete with it, hence my response. I'll just keep assuming friendly intentions all 'round.