Thursday, November 11, 2004

In Memory Not Alone

Last year on Remembrance Day I tried to get everyone in my workplace to take a ten minute break in order to observe the day and honour those before us. I received encouraging words saying that I could go ahead and do that if I wanted to but in the end no one joined me and it was just another average weekday.

This year I decided to simply observe the moment by myself at my desk. Just after 11:00 am I visited cbc.ca and I read through this article commemorating the day. At 11:11 am I read through the poem In Flanders Fields which is included at the end of that article and I offered up a small prayer of thanks.

I still have several poppies in my van from last year. I kept them on the visor in my van all year as a small reminder to myself about the sacrifices that created the life that I have today. Thanks to those that protected us, thanks to those that protect us now and thanks to God.

2 comments:

Aleah said...

We have also had poppies in our van year 'round as well. Bless those who died and don't forget their families.

Amanda said...

Remembrance Day is always a time for heartful prayers and thoughts of thanks to those who have died for us.

I find myself frustrated, and asking if we have really remembered anything at all? A lot of veterans will say that they fought so that no one else would have to. There have been so many wars since then. There's something wrong with us. Or maybe it's just hard to remember something we didn't see ourselves.

Cheers,