Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Hot Enough For You?

We were having pizza tonight for dinner. My dad likes his food with some kick so he pulled out the hot sauce. To be specific, it was Frank's Red Hot XTRA HOT Cayenne Pepper Sauce. My dad sprayed it liberally over his two slices of pizza.

The two South Korean kids that are staying with us are also prone to using plenty of hot sauce on their food, so they did the same. John, one of the two kids, didn't just spray it, though. He poured it onto the pizza so that it was pooling on all of the pepperoni and then dripping off. He covered one of his slices and then my dad stopped him before he started to put sauce on the second one. My dad explained that it was hot and that he should try it first.

Y'all know what happened. John proceeded to put even more sauce on the second slice.

All in all, we had a pretty fun time at dinner this evening. My dad ordered John to finish eating both slices since he had ignored my dad's advice. John went through 6 full glasses of water and juice in a feeble attempt to wash the sauce down. (Of course, I know that milk or bread is better for that but I wasn't going to ruin John's fun.) John eventually finished both slices about twenty minutes later. He kept complaining that his skin was hot and there were tears in his eyes and snot dripping from his nose as he held back the flames. The prolonged process alternately included jumping around in pain and making bold statements that it wasn't so hot after all.

Good story, I just wish there was a moral for it.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hehe...I recently ate some Thai food and must have stuck a hot pepper right on my tongue because it took about half an hour to stop the burning tingling sensation around my mouth.

Another tidbit of info: Did you know that ValuMart has to sign a paper saying that they will use the concentrated hot sauce responsibly for the hot wings they sell. If you think about it, that stuff could do some serious dammage.

Cheers,

Abe said...

Though there is plenty of humour in this story, as I'm sure we've all had similar experiences where we faced food that was just too hot for us, this story makes me cringe. I guess it hits a little too close to home with how my dad used to teach us lessons, often involving some kind of physical discomfort/distress. Sorry to ruin the mood, I just was feeling bad for the little guy.