Sunday, March 20, 2005

Current Events and Past History

In case you haven't heard, there's a half-hour show that is aired daily that re-enacts the ongoing Michael Jackson trial. I heard that it's a pretty good show, actually. The Toronto Star had a recent article about it. I saw a small bit about it on TV that had an interview with the Michael impersonator on the show and I tell you, that guy doesn't look much like Jackson when he dosn't have his costume on.

On an unrelated topic, I wrote this post back in the day regarding the different ways that my friend Mike and I have been trained to analyze and research. He lent me his book, "After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection." It was cool to read the different methods that historians have to use to piece together past events. From hunting down evidence to posing the right questions to proposing motives, it's a pretty complex discipline. It's very different from my forte of strict computer logic and software design. I have a much greater respect and more understanding of what it takes to be a good historian now - and I'm glad Mike's studying it and not me. Heh.

Interestingly, a lot of the skills that the book helps to explain are the exact kinds of things I was referring to in this recent post. When we study the Bible, it's not enough to read the black-and-white text and leave it at that. There are numerous current and historical factors that effect our interpretation of the Bible. Reading the Bible, like studying history, isn't always the easiest thing to do.

No comments: