Monday, May 15, 2006

Creative Well

I think that there's one common well from which I draw my creative resources. As a computer programmer and software designer at work, I'm called on to make numerous small and large design decisions every day. This includes code algorithms, visual designs and functional requirements. While some of that relies simply on knowledge about how things should work, other parts of that process are highly creative.

I have two main areas of creativity besides my work: blog writing and song writing. I try to keep a somewhat regular schedule of blog writing for the sake of my readers. I even jot down notes when I think of something that might be useful for a future blog post.

So if my creativity at work is a necessity and if blogging is done once or twice every week, that draws an awful lot of creative juice from me. I have little time or inclination to write songs beyond that, unfortunately. Last week, I was on the road traveling across the USA. I had neither work nor blogging available to me et voila, I started to unintentionally write new songs without even trying. In fact, I was trying to sleep at one point and I wasn't able to continue as the flow of a new song kept pulsing through my brain.

Creativity's a funny thing. I just wish I could do more song writing.

2 comments:

solnechko said...

I have a good idea.

Write songs in your blog.

Ooooh! Clever, eh?

Battle said...

or just give up on this blog. It'll be a kind of irony that you'll be sucked out of your own world. hahahaha