Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Leadership & Judgement

Don't let me scare you off, "judgement" isn't just a dirty word. Choose "necessarily evaluate in love without condemnation" if you prefer, since that's what this post is about.

Some time ago I had a discussion with another worship leader about how to effectively lead a congregation in worship. I mentioned that it seemed like we were having a difficult time entering into God's presence because the congregation wasn't participating but was merely observing.

In reply, I was told that you can't really know a person's heart by their actions. If people are sitting in their seats looking bored, they may in fact be having an intimate moment with God, or that may be the way they express their love to God. I was told you can't judge the congregation based on outward appearances.

Granted, this may be theoretically true and it may be applicable to some people. On the whole, however, this is not true. On the whole, it's fairly easy to tell if a congregation is choosing to enter into worship. More to the point, part of my job as a worship leader is to keep an eye on the congregation and lead them accordingly. If I ignore the congregation's response and just do as I feel I should, then I am not really leading at all. I'm just a solo act at the front of the church.

And that means, dear people, that a leader has to make a judgement call about the congregation. It's not motivated by anything but a desire to help the congregation and to be obediant to God. It does not involve condemnation in any way, but it is necessary.

No comments: