Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Two Comments

I wanted to make two quick comments.

1) Why do young people tend to wait until their late teens and early twenties to make a meaningful personal decision about their Christian faith? Why do kids of age twelve and under prefer, of their own choice, to sit in church with a book or a game rather than participate in worship? Isn't a ten or twelve year old capable of understanding worship and making a decision to do so on their own?

I remember my days in junior high youth group at church. I fully entered into the worship times that we would have. Why is age such a factor? Aren't children capable of worship, prayer and evangelism?

2) To me, it seems that the mark of a mature Christian is the ability and proven history of discipling/coaching younger Christians. It's strikes me as odd that a person can claim to 'not need any advice' while at the same time not helping any younger Christians. Show me someone that does not disciple others, and I'll show you someone that doesn't care. I think this passage from 1 John 2 nails it by differentiating spiritual fathers from children and young men.

No comments: