Friday, May 7, 2004

Advice Can Go Two Ways

I was speaking to a friend the other day who was expressing doubts about various aspects of Christianity. This person is a Christian but was having some trouble with questions like "How can real Christians be hypocrites?" and "What about the historical truth of the Old Testament?"

The thing is, this particular person has found a lot of real-life, meaningful freedom in their personal knowledge of Jesus as saviour. I suggested that they should focus on this core of their belief for the current time. Don't get caught up in the petty arguments or the frailty of others, keep your eyes on Christ. Work from what you do know and go out from there. It's like a student entering law school - you don't try and complete third-year studies immediately; you have to work your way up to it gradually, building on a solid foundation of knowledge and experience.

This is more true than I know, I think. Previously, I asked how we could live in the life of Christ and not live under the Law. I think this advice may answer my own question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Law analogy....is this me you are talking about? Hmmmm. Don't think so....just had to investigate :)

(Jevant)

Jamie A. Grant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie A. Grant said...

You're in law school, Joel, so it was the first example that sprung to my mind. Fill in the blank with another major if you would prefer.