Monday, May 24, 2004

That By All Possible Means I Might Save Some

Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

This passage had a big impact on me in the past year or two. We have a responsibility to evanglise, disciple and minister as well as we can for God's sake. The people we minister to are responsible for their own decisions and responses to us. What is the balance here? Where can we draw the line and say with proper humility, "I've done all that I can do?"

I think this passage answers that question.

No comments: