Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Visiting a MegaChurch

"The outcome of November 2 has piqued my curiosity. Experts tell us that “moral issues” proved to be the biggest factor for voters in one of the closest presidential races in U.S. history. And while some people may question the morality of the administration’s policies, others want to know why these voters are such an effective political force."

And with that, this article describes a woman's first impressions when she visited a "mega church" in the United States. I thought this paragraph in particular rung a similar tone to one of Mike's recent posts.

I picked up this article from a site that I have been visiting recently, Church Marketing Sucks. As that blog noted in this post, the author (or at least the editor) compares the visit with Alice in Wonderland, complete with illustrations. This blogger comments that the author of the article "closes with plenty of fair questions but no room for real answers." I would agree with that.

The author compares this megachurch with their past memories of church as a child, wondering what the hidden agenda is. As my own opinion, I thought it was funny that the article ends with a condemnation of conservative Christians for their stance on homosexuality and abortion. No one condemned her for thinking as she pleased, but apparently the author feels that condemnation is all right as long as you're right. As I said, it struck me as funny.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hmmm, I enjoyed reading that article about an outsider's perspective on a mega church, afterall I've never been to a megachurch. It's true though, that sometimes it's important to look at something from another perspective, walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

I am glad that I go to a church where 'everyone knows my name.' There is something about following a crowd that believes in the same thing though, maybe it makes us feel like we belong and are not alone in our beliefs and thoughts.

At any rate, God keeps track of everyone and we are each special in His eyes, even if we do get lost in crowd sometimes.

Cheers,

Mike said...

We all take shots at people and ideas we don't identify with, that's just the way it is. I identify with evangelicals a lot more than the author of the first article does, so I'd take a different perspective on that church, even if I think some of her observations are probably accurate.