Saturday, March 18, 2006

Blue Blue Mountain

I was away this past Thursday and Friday on vacation. I drove to Collingwood, Ontario for two days of snowboarding at Blue Mountain. This past week was March Break for the South Korean boys at my house so my dad had already planned to take them there as their main event for the week. I went along for the ride since they were already going. We stayed in a gorgeous little apartment right at the foot of the mountain.

I did two and half hours of snowboarding on Thursday afternoon and four and a half hours on Friday morning and Friday afternoon. My dad was wiped out after the first shift of skiing and I spent most of Thursday evening sleeping but all in all it was rather fun. On Friday morning, the kids went to the heated outdoor pool and the outdoor whirlpool. There's nothing like swimming in sub-zero weather.

I managed to get a few good shots on the hills while I was out with the kids on Friday. My mom has all of them up on her homestay website if you want to check out a few of the pictures. My dad and I were taking the pictures so I'm only in one lazy shot of us watching TV from a couch.

I had to stay with the boys while we were out on the hills, if only to take pictures of them. As a result, I was dragged along on some tough runs despite the fact that I was the least skilled member of our group. We completed a couple of black diamonds and one brutal double black diamond, the "Elevator Shaft." It was iced over for much of the way due to the sharp incline. I went quite slowly on that last run but at least I managed to get down before two of the kids. Yes, I take pride in slowly going down a hill and beating a couple of grade school boys.

"Blue blue mountain..."

No comments: