Sunday, June 11, 2006

'S Funny

I was supposed to go to work on Saturday because I have a pile of beta testing that I need to do. Abe and Melissa were planning to move into their new house on Saturday but I wasn't planning on going. However, Tara called me late on Saturday to inform me that Abe and Melissa had very few people available to help them. So on Saturday morning I rounded up the three Korean boys from my house to go and lend a hand.

I figured that I would help until maybe noon and that would let me get back to work for at least four hours. Ah, but the best laid plans... To our surprise, a group of young people showed up on Saturday morning to help with their move. Abe had done an excellent job of packing everything and a giant pile was ready to go once the U-Haul truck arrived. We all pitched in and got the majority of the load into the truck - and then most of the crew vanished due to other priorities. Even Abe disappeared around noon due to some other pressing appointment.

So that left me, two other men and several women and children. I couldn't really leave since we still had several major pieces of furniture to move, including two washers and a dryer. So we worked to finish off more U-Haul load. As I was carrying a large mattress, I was walking along their brick walkway and I slipped into a section that was missing several bricks.

Snap! Crackle! Pop!

Ah, I had almost forgotten what it felt like to bust my leg. It felt like I had sprained my ankle but my ankle was perfectly fine. We still had several major things to move so I decide to just walk it off. I finished off the rest of the furniture, took my Korean boys out to lunch to thank them for their hard work and eventually returned home. By the time I got back home, the pain had grown considerably and I was limping quite badly.

At my mother's insistance, I went to the hospital later with my dad. In and out, the visit took less than an hour. They took x-rays, confirmed that nothing was broken and informed that I had pull a ligament on the side of my left foot. Loverly. So now I'm using the crutches that I own for situations just like this and I'll be on those until my foot heals on its own. I definitely won't be playing baseball with my church team any time soon, at least.

So yeah, that was my day. Fun, eh? By the way, Abe and Melissa's house is fantastic. It's so much bigger then their previous house. It still needs a lot of interior work on the walls but it's going to be a great place once they have fixed it up. Good for them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a good man, JAG.

I know that Abe has been stressing like mad these days so, as a brother that loves him very much, I am exceedingly grateful for the help that you gave him. Thank you.

Lori said...

If it's torn you do need to be non-weight bearing for 3-4 weeks. So to put it into perspective - Canada day weekend will come and go and soon you'll be on your feet again! 12 weeks and no running, do they sell hotdogs at the baseball game?

A powerful metaphor used in successfully dealing with injuries is to visualise the affected part, then associate it with a colour. Since body parts 'usually' come in pairs (your left and right foot for example, ha-ha), visualising the healthy foot should deliver a different colour (for "healthy and healed"). Enter a meditative state to begin the self-healing process and visualize some mechanism like a paint brush or spray can of re-colouring the injury back to health. The first think I think of is a calm blue for healthy and orange or red for OUCH!

If you want to be cute and injured vs. stupid and injured - milk it for all it's worth. Sulk, complain and be helpless, this is much preferable than someone who is macho and "I'm going to walk on it early anyway because I'm stupid". Actually this last paragraph is total nonsense, and has more to do with me enjoying the vulnerability of an injured man. Anyway I bid you farwell.

Lori said...

Ah-ha, no more sympathy comments...
Actually, NO sympathy comments...

solnechko said...

desolee

Jamie A. Grant said...

Yes! One comment of sympathy, at least.

Lori said...

No! One comment of pitiƩ, at most.