Monday, November 20, 2006

Chit Chat

One of the few skills that I never really learned during my years at AV-Base is phone manners. Not to say that I'm not polite, it's just that friendly chit-chat on the phone has never been my forte. It seems that a lot of people spend at least a little time discussing the weather, or how tough work was in the past week, or some major event in their families' lives.

Me, I'm much more to the point. I regularly need to call our clients to ask them design questions or to answer a particularly difficult question about our software. I usually open with an introduction, ask if they have five minutes to talk and boom, I'm into the main subject. Once it's over, I offer my thanks and that's the end of the call. It's efficient but it's all business, no fun.

I find that I act that way during my personal phone calls as well. My main motivation is that I don't want to suck up too much time from someone. (That's right, I don't want to suck.) I have no idea what the other person was doing when I called them or when they called me. Perhaps they have someone standing there waiting for them, so who am I to take up ten minutes?

Of course, most people probably would like to chat for a while. Even if I allowed for this, I'm still not good at it. I don't know what to do with meaningless chit chat. I don't really care to discuss the weather. I don't know why anyone would care basketball was cancelled at the church yesterday because no-one showed up.

Granted, I have quite often taken the lead in opening up conversations with new people. Throw me into a group with one new person and I can easily strike up a funny "get to know you" conversation for fifteen minutes. I would say that this is a learned behaviour, though, so that the group doesn't sit there silently for a long time. I haven't really learned how to do this effectively with people I know casually.

However, once in a while I do have a friend like Richard or Joel Terry that calls for the sole purpose of catching up on things. These conversations easily stretch towards one hour and they're a pleasure for me. The difference, though, is that the intention is clear and these are my close friends. I still find it difficult to chat with an acquaintance for five minutes or more on the phone.

Funny enough, I can sit down and type up a blog post for more than a half hour. It's just these real-life conversations that are tricky. Heh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally... someone on this planet that understands the value of how to communicate by phone without acting as though they have to "sell" the conversation! I find that many people who call me with a specific purpose, often try to flower up the chat with meaningless small talk, and all I can ever think is, "just get to the point, man, I'm in the middle of something".

My personal preference is to usually let the person leave a message, and then I call them back on my own time. Problem is, most people leave messages like "Hi, it's me Fred. Can you call me when you get a chance? I have something to ask you." So now, I have to return the call, they ask the question, and then I have to go find an answer and then call them back. People need to learn from Jamie. Call and state your purpose. Don't try to sell me on small talk. Great attitude... :)

Anonymous said...

I think it is Wawa.

You and Mike C. are exactly the same when it comes to this. And Wawa might be the only link.

BTW - I'm blogging again.

Jevan said...

That was me. This Google Beta thing is making commenting difficult for me.

Anonymous said...

I commented but have no idea what happened to it. Either way, it was just small chit chat anyway, lol.

Unknown said...

haha. I think the chitchat has a purpose and provides a nice intro to the conversation so that -Boom! Important things aren't being discussed before I have processed whom I am speaking with.- So...since I think you've been very curt on the phone before and needed a little more chitchat sometimes, I'd be pleased to practice with you. However, since some people don't appreciate the "wasted time" of chitchat, you should scope those people out before hand, know who they are and startle them with the important stuff, but ease the rest of us in a little more slowly to the conversation.

There, that's my two cents.