Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hissing Cat

So, I stumbled across a bit of self-revelation this past week. Once I say this, it may be obvious to those closest to me. No one mentioned this to me that I can recall, I just realized it. Apparently, I do not respond well to demands, commands or ultimatums. If fact, I sometimes respond quite poorly.

This can relate to a fairly broad range of things. It might be about forgetting to do chores around the house. It might relate to some annoying personal behaviour of mine, like my wonderfully resonnant belching abilities. It might relate to some viewpoint that I hold, as sometimes happens on this blog. And of course, there's the classic demands within a professional setting.

Most often, I handle these kinds of situations just fine. I rarely accept "because I said so" as a valid reason but those situations are usually open to rational discussion. Sometimes, I easily admit that I neglected or could improve at something, so I apologize and try to change. Sometimes I open up a discussion, ask for and offer explanations, look for the middle ground and try to work things out. Sometimes I try to politely and openly express how I feel emotionally in response to unjust expectations. Sometimes, I respond negatively at first and then I deal with it properly and fix things a little later.

But once in a while, I get my back up like a hissing cat. I toss the comments away with sarcasm and a joke. As a teen, I was always pretty good with a cutting and demeaning remark. I might respond in kind with an attack and point out the hypocrisy of a command. I might just deny the request flat out in a curt manner. (Ooh! Please, Hammer, don't hurt 'em.) And sometimes, I let those angry feelings get the better of me and I let them stick in my head, instead of properly acknowledging and dealing with those feelings.

In my life, I place great value on rational discussions, open conversations, expressed feelings, co-operation and compromise. "Compromise" has always been a key tennant for me since I think that win-win results are better than win-lose results. I want everyone involved to have a voice, to feel like they are heard, to have a say in the matter and a personal stake in the outcome. That's important to me in both my professional life and my personal life.

And if someone bluntly contradicts those values, I don't like it much. I mean, how can we compromise on the issue of someone refusing to compromise? The opening of the dicussion is also the end and no one is left with anywhere to go. To me, it sometimes feels like someone making a sucker punch at the beginning of a boxing match and knocking the other person out in one blow. It can feel like the demand comes out of nowhere and ambushes you, and then it won't let you up off the mat.

So that was my nice piece of introspection for this week. Now that I've made this observation about myself, I think that I will spot these situations more readily and I'll be able to deal with these things a little better in the future. I already have the tools to deal with these kinds of interactions maturely, I just need to see myself for what I am and guard my tongue a bit more.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mention "rational" discussions several times. What may appear to be rational to one person may be completely irrational to another. This is especially true when the conversation is between opposite genders.

Sherry

Jamie A. Grant said...

That's a fine point, Sherry. My point of emphasis is on having a conversation in which both people can express their reasons without resorting to emotional attacks.

The "logic" and rationality of a conversation is a different matter. Only an idiot insists that the other person is an idiot. Heh.

More seriously, I've always said that if the other person thinks that something is important, then it is important. Period. Trying to negate someone's opinion with pure logic is just another kind of attack fed by the speaker's ego.

And your point about genders plays into it as well. Conversations are often spoken on two levels. The subject at hand, and the relationship underneath. Making one point about the topic can actually make a different point about the relationship. Logic is not king, the relationship is.

Jamie A. Grant said...

To say it another way, I think that logical and rationality are very important tools. I've worked very hard to develop my logical skills. I just don't think that they're supremely important. A reliance on logic alone just leaves us like Mr. Spock, an alien in our own world.

The leading of the Holy Spirit is another tool. Paying attention to our emotions, that's another one. Experience is another tool. Caring about someone else, that's another way out of numerous others. All of these things can help us understand life and grow as people.

Lori said...

I made you tea once and commanded you drink it and you totally ignored it. I just wanted you to *try* it, and thoughts of pouring it on you (once it cooled down) crossed my mind actually. LOL.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Zigackly, Lori. I sure showed you!

Or maybe it had more to do with the fact that I don't like tea or coffee. Eh, what can I say? It was probably rude of me regardless. I would probably eat/drink all kinds of weird things if I was in a foreign country, just out of politess.

My apologies for not being a grateful guest.

Lori said...

I was just teasing, it was at work during a skyservice conference call. lol.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Oh, THAT Skyservice conference call. Oy, I had almost forgotten. Why'dja have to bring that to mind again? My life is so easy-going these days.

Lori said...

Mine too - if I had 12 babies it would still be easier. Even though I feel like someone cut me in half, it's still easier. Life is good.