Sunday, April 1, 2007

Colbert, Card Games & Crazy Blogs

Last night, we had a dress rehearsal for the upcoming Easter presentation at my church, which I mentioned before here. It uses the format of The Colbert Report. I'm in the band so this was my first chance to actually see the comedic segments. I loved it!

Among other things, the show includes an extended piece with "The Word," which is one of my favourite bits from the show. The band learned how to play Colbert's theme song in about thirty seconds, which was hilarious. There are some funny videos thrown in for the "commercial breaks" and other amusing aspects. The show contrasts the Easter Bunny concept with the story of Jesus' death and resurrection, using an interview-style discussion. The jokes slow down a bit towards the middle but the intermittant songs keep things lively. I invite everyone to join us this coming weekend for those shows!

Now for a few quick hits. Joel has started blogging again, in his role as commentator on all recent news. Nick Hourd has a blog post on his website that relates to our ongoing discussion about hearing God's voice and various aspects about dating. My dad is still blogging way too frequently, and my favourite recent post was this one in which he discusses the Biblical validity of the concept of spiritual covering, which is something that I have been re-assessing lately.

And as my final shout out, Ashleigh has an ongoing series in which she invites people to submit serious questions about the life of someone who is disabled. It's highly revelational and no question will go unanswered, so this is your chance to ask anonymously if there's something you always wanted to know but were not sure how to find the answer.

On Easter Monday, April 9th, I will be hosting another poker game at my house starting at 6:00 pm. Everyone is invited, both girls and guys, and you can invite your own friends as well. If you haven't played poker before or you're still fairly new at it, we'll teach you everything you need to know. Just come out for the fun and the chance to meet some new people.

This time, I will be hosting two separate poker games at the same time. The first game will cost $20.00 but first and second place will get bigger cash prizes. The second game will only cost $5.00, so the prizes for that game will be smaller but more people will probably be playing that one. Half of the money from the entrance fees will go towards the prizes, the other half will go to my friend Terrance Arsenault and his fiance Gina for their upcoming wedding.

If you can contact me beforehand to confirm that you're coming, I would appreciate it. However, an RSVP is not required and you can come at the last second.

4 comments:

David Grant said...

Us old guys just can't win. Either we don't blog enough or we blog too much. Continue in your guidance, my young sensei.

solnechko said...

Man, I wish I could come. I just learned how to play Texas Hold 'Em last night and I *creamed* everyone there...

solnechko said...

oh right. and what i meant to say was that i can't come.

Ashleigh said...

Thanks for the shout out Jamie...much obliged....not too many people are posing questions yet, but hopefully that'll change soon....Which reminds me, I still have a question or two left to answer...

I'll definitely be at the Friday performance...whether or not I go to both will be determined by how bored I am on Saturday...heh