Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way...

"A funny thing happened on the way to the office..."

So today I pulled together my recently acquired passport photos and documents and off I went to the Passport office. I don't need a passport for any particular reason since I have no trips planned overseas but I wanted to get this done sometime. The office opens at 8:45 am so I was aiming to arrive there at 8:30 am.

I arrived at the intersection of Colborne and Horton at 8:30 am, so my timing was good. I couldn't find the building at first so I had to make a couple of turns and go around a couple of parking lots to get my bearings. In the meantime, a train crossed Colborne Street just a little north of my location and all of the early morning traffic got stuck. I was glad that I wasn't trapped in that queue.

Ah, but then I realized that I was mistaken and I wasn't looking for Colborne and Horton. I was suppoed to be looking for Colborne and York, which was two blocks north. Just across the train tracks. The jokes's on me, right? Wait! The train just finished passing and the road re-opened as I pulled another U-turn. Excellent.

I finally got back onto Colborne and started to head north and...bam! The warning lights at the track descended again as a second train came roaring through. Ah, the irony of it all. I couldn't help but laugh at myself and my poor timing as I parked and waited. Sure, I could have pulled yet another U-turn there and gone one block west to the tunnel on the parallel road that bypasses the tracks. I guessed that the time that it would take for this train to pass, though, would be about the same as taking the detour.

My prediction was correct and less than a minute later, the train had gone through. An odd thing happened, though. The warning lights at the track continued flashing and the crossing rails at the track remained down. Did they fail to trigger and turn off? I've had that happen to me before and I've seen tracks blocked for a half hour with no train traffic at all.

Nope, that wasn't the case. Everything was proven to be working successfully because less than thirty seconds later another train - the third one in five minutes - slowly started to pull through the intersection. Hilarious! At this point, half of the cars that were on the road pulled U-turns and headed for the detour. I was enjoying the joke, however, so I patiently sat there. After all, it would only be another two or three minutes and I wasn't in a rush.

So I'm sitting there looking at the passing graffiti cars and then this lineup of metal starts to slow down. How odd. Maybe there's another intersection further west for which the train had to be cautious. As I continued to watch, the train comes to a complete stop. And not only that, but the train starts to go into reverse, ever so slowly! I thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me but no, there was the train backing up from whence it came.

Laughing, I watched as the train backed up from its (presumed) middle point and went back to the quarter point. It sat there for a while, at which point I pulled out my book and started reading. There were some other suckers still parked on the road with me but most of them were company vehicles, so I presume that they were getting paid to sit there.

At long last, the train did pull away after sitting there for another five minutes. The flashing lights stopped, the crossing bars went up, cars started their engines and away I went, one whole block north. I spent an inordinate amount of time finding a parking space, went into the government offices and proceeded to spend another forty minutes waiting in their inefficient queues.

All told, I spent a full half hour waiting at that train crossing. I was given three or four conveniant opportunities to turn around and head for the detour, and many of my compatriots did just that. I'm me, though. No excuses or explanations are required beyond that. The irony and humour of sitting there was just delicious, and so I sat there and composed this story in my head while I giggled randomly to myself.

All things being equal, I will always take the funniest option. Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, those bells tolled for me. And now I've tolled you.

7 comments:

solnechko said...

haha - nice ending...
It's funny how one thing can either be completely frustrating or completely hilarious, and it all depends on how you decide to take it...

Ashleigh said...

I would say "burn", but for some reason I just don't think it applies here...

What was that you were saying to me recently about your unbdying love for the wonders of downtown-ness? Ah fun!

I have this priceless image in my head of you sitting there behind the wheel percussionizing and singing to yourself whilst all the other people who, like you decided to wait it out, were becoming increasingly frustrated.

I've siad it before and I will continue to say it...You're special (insert my trademark sarcastic tone at will)...

Lori said...

I'd sit there as well though - I'd think that I was meant to be delayed and that those trains were meant to delay me. Fate/destiny whatever.

Jevan said...

I probably would have waited too. Simply because you never know whether leaving your current route is fastest.

Same reason I rarely switch lanes while driving. Whenever I do, it always seems that someone I pass is passing me within a few minutes.

Jamie A. Grant said...

I always switch lanes while I;m driving in order to be efficient. If I ever have to hit the brakes on the highway because I'm stuck behind a slow person that I could have passed, I get annoyed with myself.

And in this situation, the worst case scenario for the detour is that it would have taken the same amount of time as waiting for a quick train. The best case scenario for waiting is that the train would be equally quick, but it was much more likely that I would have to wait extra time.

So yes, I definitely knew that the detour would be fastest. But given the possibility that it would be equal, and the fact that waiting was funnier, I chose to wait.

By the way, I could actually see my destination from the spot that I was waiting. It was right there, just one block north. So close and yet so far.

And Shona, I'm glad that someone liked my closing pun. I needed some kind of punchline for this story. Heh.

Battle said...

I would have waited too not because it was funny although it was but to admire train graffiti up close and moving slowly.

Anonymous said...

I laugh at your ending too. :)