Saturday, April 7, 2007

Windows Into Me

Recently, I've noticed that I've been hanging around with friends from widely varying social circles. Some are from my years at FCCC, some are from my ancient LGT era, some are from Glad Tidings, some are from the young adults group at Open Door. Some are from my brother's circle of friends, some are friends from my time working at AV-Base, some are friends-of-friends that I have met with Wing Night or such things.

I met all of these different people in different settings at different times in our lives for different reasons. As a result, many of my friends only know certain sides of my life and my personality.

As a random list, let me see how many major components are or were in my daily life...
  • I have been a Big Brother for over two years. Very few of my friends have ever met my Little, never mind hanging out with both of us. My interest in heavy metal and rock music is directly related to him, and he's my main video game buddy.
  • I am heavily involved in GTA, my church, as a percussionist and vocalist. People that attend my church see me up on stage the majority of weekends and they can see how expressive I am in worship. People outside of this church do not realize how involved I am.
  • I have been attending a cell group at Neil and Stephanie Ross' house for more than two years now. A variety of people have come and gone from the group during that time, yet I remain. Outside of this group, people do not see how I act in a small group or in a Bible Study setting.
  • Going back further, I led my own cell group for two and a half years with seven guys or so. This time represents my first steps into what it means to be a mentor to younger guys and I learned some major life lessons along the way. Few people outside of this group know how simultaneously boring, useful and challenging this was for many of us.
  • Based on my time with that old cell group and with FCCC, two of my closest friends are still Joel Timmerman and Richard Phillips. While our friendships have changed over the years for many reasons, these two guys have seen me at my lowest points and have been there for me. Outside of these two guys, it's hard to understand how deeply I desire intimate friendships, or to even know when I was struggling with life.
  • To come back to the present, there are several friends to whom I devote much time. Some are young Christians, some are not Christians at all, many are at crossroads in their lives. I wouldn't say that I'm a mentor in these cases but I do take my position as their friend seriously and I try to get past the superficial questions to something more meaningful. Again, anyone that is not with me when I hang out with these friends does not see how far I am willing to go for their sakes.
  • In my career, my persona as manager is a whole different thing. I'm the man that cares deeply about the other employees, that wants to see them succeed and develop and enjoy their work. I take care of all of the garbage jobs and red tape and confrontations that no one else wants to handle. I consider myself to be at the service of everyone else, low man on the totem pole. That being said, I'm also excellent in a stressful situation and I can stand up to almost anyone without offending them. If you haven't worked with me, you don't really know this side of me.
  • In my career as a programmer, few people know how brilliant I am. As prideful as that may sound, it's also completely true. I'm highly experienced with database design, I can pump out code at about twice the rate of the average good programmer, I have fewer bugs in my software that most other programmers, etc. I can maintain years of design decisions in my head for instant recall, I'm an excellent researcher and I can decipher the source of a bug better than most people. Unless you're a programmer and you've seen me in action, it's doubtful that you know this.
  • Outside of my family, few people know how much I love my family and how I openly express that. There's all kinds of history in this that only rare friends will even hear about.
  • In my private spiritual life, I'm an interesting source of contradictions. I love to deconstruct ideas and challenge what I accept to be true. Alongside that kind of analysis, I'm also very heartfelt and I cry fairly often when I see God moving. Outside of my dad, few people really see this side of me.
So there you have it, a whole bunch of little windows into my life. I could go on and on (and I already have) but my point is that few people see all of me. You get one picture and your view of my personality and my passions and my life is filtered through that small pane of glass. And while it may seem like extreme hubris to lay it all out like that, how will you ever know more about me unless I tell you? There's no way that any one of my friends will ever see all of this in action, so all you can have is the stories that I tell and then you can try to paint your own picture of me.

8 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I can't speak for your other friends, but one of my favorite things about hanging out with you is that I come away from that time knowing more about you than I did before...I don't get that opportunity with many people.

I also thoroughly enjoy mocking you mercilessly....hahaha....It's SUPER fun!

I appreciated reading about the other "windows" in your life...interesting..

Great post.

Lori said...

Jamie, what do you mean re: God moving?

God in motion, as in, God creating or making something happen in someone's life?

Jamie A. Grant said...

Thanks, Ashleigh. And there you go: My pursuit of the joke, for the humour in the situation, also colours most of my conversations but not everyone realizes that.

As for you, Lori: You're asking to see into that window some more, are you? Yeah, your interpretation is basicaly it.

As one example, I can be moved to tears when I hear about people finding freedom through Jesus. That's one interpretation of the term "God moving." People walk around with so many wounds from their childhood years or from past relationships. People just think that those heavy burdens are a part of life but they're really not. I love to read, see and hear about people really being set free from their past. When Jesus comes in, allows forgiveness to flow to us and from us, changes our thoughts and emotions to something beautiful...just, wow.

In my own life, God is sometimes merciful to me in this way and it's amazing to experience how easily He can deal with something that seemed so big to me. I can only offer tears in gratitude 'cause I have no words at those times.

My most frequent time for crying otherwise is during worship when I'm offering my heart to God. That's a really intimate thing for me, regardless of whether I'm in a crowd or not.

And yeah, there are other times for tears in my life but I won't open up those windows here. Heh.

Lori said...

Jamie, if you have more posts on "freedom through Jesus" specifically I'd be interested in reading deeper thoughts on that line of thought. Sometimes, I'm not always sure exactly how deep your reference is, and what exactly it entails really.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Freedom stuff? I'd love to write more about it. Off the top of my head, it will probably be a series of examples from people I know or something. I'll get the wheels churning and see what I come up with this in this coming month.

Now THAT'S user feedback!

Lori said...

Oh I always have feedback/questions about your posts, I just rarely ask, but I'm getting brave now. If I could pick your brain. Oh wait, I am...

solnechko said...

haha... oh man... i think you're the only person i know who says "i'm brilliant. i really am."

haha i still don't know quite how to take that comment - i compare that to... hmm... i am absolutely amazing at (insert talent here) or i am droolingly dropdead gorgeous or i am sooooooo rich... Haha. Ça se dit pas. Like the only times you hear it are when people are joking or writing CVs or something... We must be completely wacked and not able to come to terms with our gifts in our society.

Ah, but since i have never seen your computer programs or code (and even if I did, would likely not fully appreciate the breathtaking beauty of them) I will take your word for it. Jamie is brilliant. He just is.


On another note, holy smokers, you have written a lot in the last little while, and as usual, you write from the heart and are not afraid to open up. Go Jamie! Keep up the brilliance!

Jamie A. Grant said...

Heh. Thanks, Shona. Yeah, some of those comments may be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I agree that most people simply refuse to acknowledge their talents. It's just false pride to pretend that we're not good when we are.

My declaration of my genius as a programmer in this case is because I actually documented the statistics for it over the course of two years. When I said that I was twice as fast, that literally showed up in the stats.

Usually, though, I tend to think that I'm good but not great at many things. I have a wide ranging skillset but there's always someone better than me around. That was true back in high school and it's still true. I keep that in mind when people compliment my singing or percussion 'cause I know others that are light years ahead of me in those departments.

I think that's why I'm a good manager, though, because a manager does a little bit of everything.