Thursday, October 20, 2005

News & Views

Ah, now I can dip into weird news again, for your reading pleasure...

Did you hear about the 10-foot boa snake that terrorized an apartment building? One guy went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, looked down at the toilet after turning on the light and realized there was a snake coiled in his toilet looking up at him. The snake was living on rats it found in the sewer, apparently, and it would pop up in toilets. Check out the full story on that link and a funny picture.

"This year alone, Shanghai will complete towers with more space for living and working than there is in all the office buildings in New York." (Link)

The CSI Effect: The CSI TV shows are having a tangible effect on reasl-life juries, according to this article in the Toronto Star. Juries are demanding forensic evidence more than ever before and, like the show, are more inclined to accept the unhappy ending without this kind of evidence.

I heard about a new type of window that is strong enough to repel bullets (link). This new material is both stronger and lighter than the existing bullet proof glass. That piqued my interest since one of my recent friends, Andrea Black, happens to be a mechanical engineer for a company that builds tanks. She's sometimes gets to build explosives to test their tanka rmour armour, which is really cool job.

6 comments:

Mike said...

I think prosecutors have been dealing with stuff like that for decades. Finger prints, for example. Prosecutors routinely have to call expert witnesses to explain very carefully to the dumbass Agatha Christie reading jury that we only leave fingerprints under very select circumstances.

Aleah said...

Whoa, that snake is awesome!! No more worrying about bed bugs biting you!

Anonymous said...

That snake thing freaks me out. Until now I figured it was just an old myth - yikes! I can't deal. ~L

solnechko said...

ew. is that pee in the background?

Mike said...

I read that in this book called Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets.

Non-fiction. A journalist spent a year with a homicide unit.

Elyse said...

I'm with Laura...that snake really reaks me out. o_O