Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Weekend Review

Did you all read the article about Richard Phillips in the Christian Life in London insert in the London Free Press last Wednesday? He still has those commercials on TV for his old school and now he has this article about his work with the youth shelter in London. I think that's thirty minutes of fame now.

This past Saturday my Little Brother carve a pumpkin. I vaguely remember doing that as a kid but I had to learn how to do it all over again. We managed to get a fairly intricate carving done that looks really cool. Thanks to my mom, I have some before-and-after pictures but I can't post them for the sake of my Little's privacy. Sorry about that.

This past Friday I attended nine20, the young adult group at Open Doors church. I've recently started playing percussion with them for worship each Friday but this time none of the regular worship leaders showed up. I was drafted into worship leadership at the last minute and we ripped off a quick ten minute sound check and practice. The worship went well.

The guest speaker was Harvey Katz, finishing off part two of a talk about evangelism. (See Part 1 here.) He preached from the passage in 2 Corinthians 3:12-18, which has one of my favourite verses: "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." I had a song in mind that I used to play for the after-service worship at FCCC (my old church) back in the day. I started playing as Harvey was finishing his talk and I ministered in song afterwards. It was great since I haven't done that in more than a year except by myself. My piano playing was fairly pathetic but it got the job done. I'm always a little surprised at how effectively God uses me to lead worship but it's great that He still does.

Speaking of God using me, I'm off to Windsor this coming weekend to do some inner-city outreach. There's a church there that helps train other churches in that kind of ministry. I'll be heading down as part of the worship team to play percussion for two different events and I'll also be doing some walk-the-streets outreach stuff on Saturday afternoon. This will be cool since I haven't done anything like this in quite a while. I'll be away from early Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks again for the publicity
*shameless plug* www.clilondon.com

solnechko said...

... and richard spoke to me on sunday! (hyperventilate) ... i can't handle it...

lead piano? is that what that is called? it sounded pretty sketchy to me... sorry 'bout it.