Monday, March 26, 2007

The GTA Report

This upcoming Easter weekend, my church, Glad Tidings Assembly, will be presenting a comedy/drama/music performance. The concept for this play pays homage to The Colbert Report. It sets a Colbert-like news commentary show during the original Easter period, talking about the news of the day regarding Jesus' death and resurrection. Taken at face value, that story is pretty crazy so I'm looking forward to seeing how this works.

It's certainly not the classic Easter story, or the Passion. I'm involved in playing percussion for the five musical songs during the production, and the songs are very cool. I haven't seen the dramatic portions or read the actual script yet but I'm told that it's pretty funny.

Everyone is invited to see one of the two shows, as detailed here. We also have a link to our radio ad on that link. There's one show on Easter Friday at 7:00 pm and another one the following night at the same time, on April 6th and April 7th. Admission is free, but I would recommend arriving at least a half hour early to get seats due to the expected crowds.

Note that this is meant to be a fun evening, relating the original Bible story in an interesting way. If you would like to attend a more traditional Easter service, that will be available on Easter Sunday morning at 9:30 am and 11:30 am.

Some people may not know much about The Colbert Report. This Wiki article describes it in more detail. Suffice it to say, the show is a satire of cable news commentary shows, like Bill O'Reilly. Colbert's character is a right-wing fundamentalist Christian guy that steadfastly supports the president and loves America with all his heart. In the process, he pokes fun at exactly those points of view, while reviewing the latest developments in politics and other areas.
The show is on Comedy Central and it comes right after The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It's often said that teenagers and people in their twenties now come to these two shows as their primary source of real news commentary, which I completely agree with. I rarely watch regular news but I consistantly watch these two shows, despite the fact that they air at 11:00 pm each week night.

The poster at the top of this blog post is a reference to the classic images from The Colbert Report. (Remember, the "t" at the end of those two words is silent.) It's a bit of a combination of these two images below. I love it!


1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

I'll probably be there both nights...I was sold the minute I saw the poster...

Too funny!