Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fun and Fiction

I hung out with my Little Brother yesterday and we went to the Western Fair. We had a good time with various games and shows. We saw a trampoline act with a couple of guys from the Canadian Men's team, including one 16-year old who is competing in Holland next week. We caught a pig race and we finished off the evening with a tractor pull, which I had never seen before.

One of the acts that we saw was a lumberjack contest. I was cheering and booing as expected and I'm afraid that I embarassed my Little. At one point, he poked me and asked why I was being so loud. I tried to explain that cheering at an event is well and good but I don't think he agreed. Heh.

The only problem with the Western Fair is how much money is costs...and speaking of which, I remember how much money Richard spent on Tara on their first date together, when he took her to the Western Fair. Happy third anniversary, mes amis!

As a different point of interest, I've been immersed in various sci-fi novels recently. All that science that they jam into the stories is so crazy, and yet it's usually based on real-world theories and experiments. The newest author that I've started to read is Stephen Baxter. So while I'm having fun with the weirdest aspects of science, I come across articles like this that try to explain why the most far-out designs for space shuttles simply won't work and that we have to stick with the tried-and-true because it's the only thing that can work. Stupid facts, getting in the way of my fiction.

No comments: