Friday, September 16, 2005

Google People

Does anyone else around here google for people that they know? Do you google people that you recently met?

It's odd. As a computer geek, I figure that anything on the web is fair game. However, I've met different people over the years that think it's an invasion of privacy or that it's creepy to perform a couple of basic queries. Most just find it weird that I would so such a thing. I think it's a conveniant way to find out more about a person, even if it's usually a fruitless search.

Hopefully everyone has searched for their own name at some point just to see how famous (or anonymous) they are on the web. As for me, "Jamie Grant" isn't unique enough to come up with anything near the top about me. The best bet is to search for "Jamie A. Grant", in which case I popup at #2 on Google and in three of the top 10 positions. I get similar results even with a blog search. Ah well, maybe this post will help my cause. *g*

So? Anyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I've googled myself...hasn't everybody? I don't think I've ever stumbled across anything about me personally though. Which is good. I think I'd be weirded out otherwise. ~L

Mike said...

I'd say everything on the net is fair game, too. Running a google search on someone is a matter of idle curiousity, not creepy stalking.

Abe said...

Googling people is absolutely fair game, and I do it very often to find out more about authors of articles I'm reading (give some context). I also google myself regularly, and am at 28 links as Abe and 26 as Abram...I look forward to breaking onto a fourth page. Basically I find my self-worth in google links...hmmm

Aleah said...

I've googled myself and my family and I found me on a couple sites (one for track and field in HS and the other was my family's geneology).

M.W.O.G. said...

I've never googled myself at all before now. It's CRAZY! I just found another Natalie Steele on the web from the states. It's a VERY strange coincidence that she majored in Music and TROMBONE (which I have played for over 9 yrs), of all things! As well, she has played all over the world, just as I have, and is a band instuctor. All of these things I've dreamed of or done at some point are in her bio! It's CREEPY!! Thank God she looks nothing like ME,well...that is, apart from the short hair. There is only one site that I appear on that was legit with "Natalie M. Steele" It's still weird for me that I found this lady!!

Jamie A. Grant said...

Would anyone find it weird to meet someone at church/work/school and have them mention some web-related info during casual conversation later? I've done that a couple of times as an ice-breaker.

Aleah said...

Isn't that called stalking?? :P