Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Friends & Family

Blog Links
I have updated my blog links with a couple of recent additions. Jennifer MacDonald is a friend of Andrea and Lori Worthington is one of co-workers who recently started a blog. I've also added a link to a daily Sodoku puzzle, which I have started doing just for fun.

Personal News
Richard was back in town yesterday for the first time in over a month. We hung out last night and hit the new mini-putt at Fleetway. That little course is pretty impressive. I scored quite badly, coming in nine strokes behind Richard. I had three balls fall into the bottom of the cup only to pop out again. I tell ya, it wasn't my dad for that game. I did manage to get a hole-in-one on the last hole, at least. After that, Richard and I hung out at the mall for a while before we finally "popped in" on the Timmermans for a quick visit. Good times.

Recent News
There was an article this week that Ontario is considering a change to the adoption laws. Previously, children in foster care that could still be contacted by their families were not permitted to be adopted. This rule ensured that birth families did not interfere with newly adopted families and that extended family could still contact the children. The problem was that something like 3/4 of the kids in foster care fell into this category and were thus denied adoption by families that wanted them. Ontario is considering dropping this rule by creating a special conditional adoption.

I applaud this move heartily. My family has had many foster kids over the years and I remember those times quite fondly for the most part. It's frustrating if you are a foster parent and you want to adopt the child but you cannot. There are plenty of good reasons to deny that request sometimes but other times common sense shows that this denial hurts more than helps. That's why this rule is being changed and I think the kids in Ontario will be the better for it.

Update: How About That Weather?
We had late winter flurries yesterday. I was driving home after 10:00 pm last night and I hit a complete white-out on the Commissioners and Airport Road. It had snowed just enough to put an inch or so of snow down on everything. Combine that with the suddenly heavy snowfall and I wasn't able to see more than five feet away from my vehicle in any direction. I couldn't tell where the sides of the road were, nor could I tell what was coming on the road. Trained Wawa driver that I am, I led the way for several cars behind me, though I did veer from right to left quite a bit on Airport Road. And then, just as suddenly as it started, the snowfall stopped. Now that's some fun March weather!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gey jamie well you will get better at mini golfing i;m glad you and Richard had a great time yay a hole in one. Um about the adoption i think that they should allow people to adopt because it;s frusterating when parents at home are not taking care of thier own children My extented family adopted me but if they never did then strangers eventially would of.
i kindaq agree with you. God will take care of it.Tara

Lori said...

In golf, you need to keep your arms straight... so how then, if your bones are quite angular (you should see my arms they veer off on quite the angle at the elbow)can you hit the ball straight? I truly believe this is why I am terrible at golf, and that I need to compensate for this angle. Anyway... sounds like fun!
Awesome re: changing adoption laws. Better late than never right?

solnechko said...

uh, that fleetway golf thing is AMAZING... is it open to the public now, then? It's SOOOO amazing... Did Richard love the artwork on the walls? It is so cool. SOOOO cool.

Each hole is a different scene, done in glow-in-the-dark airbrushing, and with black lights, and really cool statues and props. And the carpet. That just might be the best part. Haha, well it's not the BEST part, but it's SOOOO bright! A bright carpet!