Monday, April 17, 2006

Tribute to Puffy

Puffy Grant
Spring 1986 to April 17, 2006

This afternoon, my family put my cherished Puffy cat to sleep. She was nineteen years old, as near as we can figure. She had some health issues and she had severe problems with normal walking. Her senses of smell, hearing and sight had all faded and she was having difficulty with normal daily activities. My family knew that her time was coming soon and today was the day. She is now buried in our backyard.

We got Puffy and her sibling PawPaws when I was in grade four back in Jordan Station, Ontario. A friend from my school lived on a farm and had a litter of kittens to give away. We gave Puffy her name for the obvious reason. We named her brother PawPaws because he had eight claws on each of his front paws. PawPaws died after only four or five years due to some health issues. Puffy had been a hardy soul, surviving numerous moves and new locations and plenty of pet dogs invading her territory. She has been smart and cautious enough to remain with us these many years. The picture below shows me and my brother with the sibling kittens.

Puffy and I had developed a nice ritual in recent times. Every day when I came home from work, I would turn on the light in my bedroom, just around the corner from her favourite spot by the space heater. She would rouse herself from her constant slumber and walk into my bedroom after me, jumping onto my bed. I would then feed her a couple of kitty treats, as she well expected me to do.

I remember teaching her how to open closed doors in the house in Jordan Station when she was still a kitten. I showed her how to claw at the bottom or side of a door to pull it open, or press against a door to push it open. It only took me a couple of minutes when we were both quite young but she never forgot how to do that from then on.

Back in Peterborough, the first city we moved to after Jordan, I had an aquarium full of small lizards. Chameleons and geckos, that kind of thing. Puffy was always trying to figure out a way to get in at those tasty little creatures through the cage on top. One day, I returned from church and I was walking into my bedroom when I noticed that the sliding door on the cage was moved. I immediately figured that the lizards had escaped so I raced into my bedroom and...SQUISH! I jumped several feet into the air and landed on my bed. I put the details together afterwards and I discovered that Puffy had managed to get on top of my dresser, had opened the cage and had eaten most of the lizards. She had apparently toyed with the last of the lizards on the floor and that's what I had stumbled upon accidentally. Ah, good times.

Puffy was great during our years in Wawa. She would chase down some cute bird or catch a small mice and she would leave it on our front porch for us in the morning. If that isn't devotion, I don't know what is. She lived through a series of large and small dogs. In some cases she was bigger than our dogs (like Mitzy) and in other cases she was dwarfed by our springer spaniels or black labrador dogs. In any case, she always made sure that they knew who was in charge of our house. Nothing like a claw in your muzzle to figure out who's the boss.

When my parents and my siblings were all living in other places or countries several years ago, I kept Puffy as our only pet. Fortunately, she never required much caretaking. You could leave her with food and water for a week and she would be fine. I've had a lot of fun with our little kitty and I have many fond memories that I will hold onto forever.

Et bonjour, ma chere Puffy! Merci pour tout!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
Thank you for the sentimental rock. It seems of little importance to the average fellow, but to me it means so much. I will cherish it always. Thank you. ~L

Anonymous said...

P.S. I just realized that you may have the lizard memory confused a little. If I'm not mistaken, after we arrived home from church we both went to our bedroom (we three shared). You were climbing to your top bunk when suddenly (!) you stepped just so. Just as you were about to look down to see what was so squishy beneath your foot, I happily exclaimed that you had stepped on a lizard. It was at this point that you jumped 10 feet in the air. You were grossed out and I was laughing and pointing.

NOTE: It is possible that I was crying and pointing but that part is a little blurry. ~L

Lori said...

Jamie, this post is heart wrenching, awe...
Very sorry for your loss, her memory is obviously deep in your heart.
A cherished pet passing can be so intensely sad.
She sounded like she always gave generously; leaving birds and rodents on the porch to express how much she cared. I am sure you will think of her, everywhere in the house.

This Old Cat
I'm getting on in years,
My coat is turning gray.
My eyes have lost their luster,
My hearing's just okay.
I spend my day dreaming
Of conquests in my past,
Lying near a sunny window
Waiting for its warm repast.

I remember our first visit,
I was coming to you free,
Hoping you would take me in
And keep me company.
I wasn't young or handsome,
Two years I'd roamed the street.
There were scars upon my face,
I hobbled on my feet.

I could sense your disappointment
As I left my prison cage.
Oh, I hoped you would accept me
And look beyond my age.
You took me out of pity,
I accepted without shame.
Then you grew to love me,
And I admit the same.

I have shared with you your laughter,
You have wet my fur with tears.
We've come to know each other
Throughout these many years.
Just one more hug this morning
Before you drive away,
And know I'll think about you
Throughout your busy day.

The time we've left together
Is a treasured time at that.
My heart is yours forever.
I Promise - This old cat.

Author: K.C. Bigamon

Elyse said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elyse said...

Aw, that's too bad. :( It was nice hear some of the memories you have that you can keep forever. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

Jamie,
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved cat Puffy. I remember her well and she certainly did have a long life full of adventures in a loving home.

Cheers.

Aleah said...

I can sympathize there with ya. Losing an animal sucks, and people can't understand unless they've gone through it. So if someone tries to tell you it's "just a cat", know that they've probably never lost one.

Wow, that's really amazing though that she lived so long. That's pretty rare these days. I'm sure she will be missed and it's nice that you will keep her in your memories.

solnechko said...

:'(