Thursday, May 10, 2007

He Said Duty

I am the king of doing things out of a sense of duty.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's part of the internal mechnism for what makes me tick. It's one of my motivations in life. Every person has their own means of motivation. Some people are goal-oriented, some are people-pleasers, some are competitive, some act out of compassion. For me, duty is one of my triggers for action.

As a result, I'm Mr. Dependable. The go-to guy, the rock, fill-in man. If I say something, you can pretty much bank on it. Not that I'm perfect but I do feel like I have completely let myself down if I mess up on a commitment. Profuse apologies will almost certainly follow from me.

Let me prove it, then.
  • I'm the person that has been a part of three different cell groups for the past seven years of my life with only a little time off as each group dissolved. Am I supposed to read the study notes, participate in discussions, spend time with friends, join in prayer? I'll get right on that.
  • I'm the singer and percussionist that has been a constant part of church worship teams since I was a teenager. Four services on weekends? I'm there. One day a week for 4-hour practices, plus a long service on Sunday? Count on me. Appearing week after week for an entire year, with only a couple of weekends off? Not a problem. Leading worship at Young Adults or Youth Group, in addition to everything else? Yeppers.
  • I'm the guy that missed having a mentoring relationship with someone, so I decided to join Big Brothers. And every single Saturday for more than two years now, I've been the Big that shows up at the door to pick up my Little. Money, time, energy, planning...I'll invest it all without a question.
  • I'm the man with the van that always offers rides. Heck, that's why I bought a van instead of a much cheaper car. Need to go across town? Sure. Need a ride to church? Give me a call. Throw in a few more people and I can easily take more than an hour driving all about.
Such is my life. That's how I roll. At one point several years ago, I found that I was committing to too many things and I was exhausted and resentful as a result. I took that lesson to heart and I make sure that I do not commit to more things that I can reasonably handle. That's the reason that I will rarely volunteer to bring snacks to Young Adults. That's the reason that I will say no when someone asks if want to join yet another new ministry at church. That's also the reason that I constantly volunteer to give rides to friends, because an extra five minutes along my route to the same place doesn't cost me much.

And yet here I stand. More frequently these days, I find myself asking, "Why?" What is the purpose in this particular church ministry, or that particular service, or one other commitment? What is the point? What am I really accomplishing? What I am getting out of it, and what am I contributing to it?

And so I allow myself to question the need for a Sunday service. I allow myself to raise red flags when someone talks about starting a new ministry at church. I allow myself to doubt the effectiveness and goals of a new initiative. I allow myself to wonder if I can use my money better by not tithing and instead giving a friend a useful gift.

And in return, what is the most common response? Duty. We should do such-and-such because the Bible says so. We should do this-and-that because we're a member of the church. We're adults, we're good people, we have talents, we have friends that rely on us, so get on with it.

I am the master and commander of this sense of duty. I know better than most about doing things out of some idea of personal responsibility. I have been there and done that more frequently and for much longer than almost anyone else I know. I haven't done these things as part of my career or for any personal reward. I've done these things on my own and against the crowd for eons. My obediance is immediate and concrete, my submission absolute.

If I now politely refuse to join new activities, or I ask challenging questions, or I lost my faith in "church for the sake of church," what kind of man am I? It's so easy to question my commitment, to raise red flags about my servanthood, to doubt my personal goals, to wonder about my sacrifical spirit. The labels are right there and the stick is in reach for an easy beat-down.

I'm not suggesting that anyone actually does this to me or to anyone else that I know. For that matter, my friend Richard challenged me last week about my commitment to church and, as a loving friend, I knew that he was only asking me out of concern without any judgment. That's useful and encouraging. I can respond well to that.

However, I do find a lot of instant opposition when I raise honest questions about the value of the Sunday service or the like. We defend these things because that's just how things are. We serve this sense of duty to the institution of church and we add band-aid solutions and work-arounds for any problems that there might be. And while we're at it, we nail the people that leave church, that don't agree with the pastor, that have a slightly different theology. Out of love, of course.

And when I use the word "we," I actually mean "me." I am the man that said those very words. I am the one that has preached submission to church and pastor and elders, without ever looking at what the Bible says about this hierarchy. I am the one that privately doubted the commitment and heart of a person that refused to do anything besides attend Sunday services. I am the one that always expected more out of people and I was the one that was disappointed when people refused to conform.

I have seen the enemy, and he is me. I apologize for defending principles that I did not understand. I apologize for enforcing rules that I did not comprehend. I apologize for pouring out Bible verses as correction and instruction, only to guide people into shallow water. I apologize for defending institutions and habits and Christian ideas that should have had no defense. And most of all, I apologize for allowing my sense of duty to be more important than helping people find real life in Christ.

P.S. "Tee hee. He said 'duty.'"

12 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Holy freakin' crap. I had no idea that this is where I was headed with this blog post. I wanted to write about this motivation of duty that I have, how it has served me well, and how I have new questions about this sense of duty.

And look where I ended up. 'S crazy how God does that so often as I write these blog posts.

Lori said...

I do alot as well out of a sense of duty. I'm also dependable, reliable, etc. I'm alot like you in that sense, but just different circumstances/lives. I've been a maid of honour 3 times...what does that tell you.

Ashleigh said...

I'm a little confused....are you saying that you'd like fewer "duties" or are you just stating facts as to your personality?

Jamie A. Grant said...

Ah, Lori. I don't think that I can really compare to your impressive resume but we do seem to be in parallel in this area, eh?

And Ashleigh...no, I'm not looking for less duties. I addressed that in my blog when I mentioned how I learned to say no to doing too much.

My main concern these days is that I want to know why I am doing something. Is it truly useful, or do I just consider it to be a "good" thing? Is it actually a Biblical mandate, or is it just Christian habit? What is the purpose, and what is the result?

My dad related how he and my mom were the ultimate church couple for two decades. Always at church, always volunteering, always involved, always giving rides and leading Sunday school and running youth group. And eventually they had this thought: What did we actually accomplish? These were all good things, no doubt. But would anyone miss us for long if we left? What kinds of relationships did we develop as a result of it all? How had anyone been permamently impacted by their lives?

So specifically, my friendships are valuable to me because there's direct give-and-take. Likewise, it's easy to see that my relationship with my Little has a good effect on him. Beyond that, I'm questioning if tithing and youth group and Bible studies are actually effective or if I just do those things out of habit and because I'm supposed to.

Jamie A. Grant said...

To put some of my thoughts another way, I am the perfect man for any institution. Whether it's religious, professional or social, I am the man that can always be depended on and will always love and defend the institution. Give me a rule and a job and I'll follow it forever, even after everyone else has forgotten about it.

So if I am the one questioning the purpose of the Sunday service, for example, that's a huge statement about how seriously I take the question. It takes an awful lot for me to stand up and question myself and the system, and I'm not just reacting emotionally or following blindly. And if I do come to some other conclusion, my thoughts will very likely be followed my firm action.

Ashleigh said...

I was pretty confident that that was where you were headed with this post...but you know me...always with the verification.

I do see your point though...In fact, I've started to wonder the same thing recently...Do I really make a positive difference when I am involved in an activity or a person's life...

I'm not sure I do, and if not...why am I there?

See...I told ya I was on your page...heh

Nick said...

You are the perfect man for any institution, and you are committed. Hmmm... Are you asking to be committed to an institution? I think LPH has beds free. You can have my old one LOL.

Unknown said...

I feel ya bro! I'm not sure if it's exactly the same but I have this horrible tendancy to want "rules"; to have someone say "do this" or "be like that" and so on and so forth...it makes life much easier for me! Heck it's human nature! Why do you think God gave us the Law? Because people WANT a guideline to follow...so we go to church and we say "amen" and we speak in jibberish on command and we go to YA and hang out and "fellowship" ...at the bar none the less! And that's another thing!! I need fellowship! I need good Christian fellowship and I get a little nervous when people get together for "fellowship" and go to the bar and have a few beers and check people out!!! What is that?

Anyways, I'm like you in that I was always "serving" people...not that I hated it or anything but sometimes you do wonder "WHY?"

Being a Christian is the hardest thing I have ever had to do because being a Christian means throwing away "the rules" God wants a relationship with us and by stepping outside the "box" you are forced to go to Him with your questions and concerns instead of just sitting in church on Sunday like we do Sunday after Sunday after Sunday and never changing inside!

Duty, like everything else has it's pros and cons. That sense of duty makes us dependable and consistent but also that same sense of duty can cause us to miss out on another opportunity because we "have" to be somewhere else.I guess we need God to tell us when to say yes and when to say no.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Lori, could you explain your "maid of honour" comment? Maybe I don't quite get it because I'm a guy or something. Were you selected as such three times because you're loyal and dependable as a friend? Is that your point?

Lori said...

I like the word maid to the way you think of "servent" in management. You want your maid of honour to be reliable, dependable, organized, friendly, generous, a whole bunch of qualities that stem from being a dutiful person I think. And more.

Leonard Terry said...

Dear Jamie,

I think it is always risky to try and evaluate your true success in life by anything less than faithfulness. I cannot tell right now whether or not my doing all that I have done will be a huge success or whether it will have been a failure.

When I start looking for signs as to my significance I often come up with nothing......

I cannot tell whether or not serving as your pastor and being your friend for many years was important or not.....

But I can say that I feel I have been faithful to what I understood God wanted me to do. I have no regrets at all with the way that I have spent my life except when I have been unfaithful to God.

When I start having regrets is precisely at the point I start looking for the signs of significance. Then it can easily seem like my life has been a total waste. I bet even Billy Graham feels that way at times....

Duty, if it means anything less than faithfulness is a terrible trap.

I am faithful to Carie because I love her. I imagine that if I told her that I was just doing my duty in the things that I presently do out of passion I expect she would not be impressed.

I seek to be faithful to God because I love Him. If I told Him that I would always serve Him because it was my duty I can be sure that He would want something far greater from me.

But faithfulness looks like duty because it is consistent, dependable and willing to go through self sacrifice to remain at a task. I think the only difference between duty and faithfulness is the object of our desire. I think duty is about wanting to be right. I know faithfulness is a desire to fully give ourselves in love.

I have honestly not seen you as a man bound by duty. I have always felt that you were a man fully motivated by the desire to pour out your life in love to God.

Even if your parents never had a single significant impact in their "church" days if they were faithful to God in loving him in the every day things of life They were total successes to Him.

What would you say to the pastor who has spent fifty years in the gulag in solitary confinement where the only impact he would have on earth was the impact he had on heaven?

No...., duty is a cheap substitute for faithfulness.... but don't let the devil trick you into believing that your faithfulness is just duty.

And FYI, your faithfulness has made you one of my heroes and one who I count an honour to have as a friend and an example to follow.

Your friend,

Leonard

Jamie A. Grant said...

Re: Faithfulness vs. Duty
Good call, Leonard. And by the way, it was you and Carrie that had me read that "Boundaries" book back in the day. That was the period when I was burnt out from doing too much at FCCC and I came to realize the necessity of saying no. That will always be to your credit.