Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ma et Pa


Today is the 30th anniversary of my parents' marriage. I love my mom and dad dearly and I thank them for everything that have ever given me. I pray that God will be with them each day, that their love for one another will grow even more, and that our family will be blessed because of them.

I have always had such admiration for them both. My mom had three kids very early on. My 29th birthday was less than two weeks ago so she hit the ground running, so to speak. And even with three kids to make her nuts, or vice versa, she somehow managed to find time to study and get her bachelor's degree and then complete teacher's college. Granted, it took quite a few years but that's my multi-tasking momma!

Similarly, my dad ditched his lucrative job at General Motors when he was 30 years old to pursue God's calling in his life. He went to Bible College full time while he and my mom both worked part time to support the family. Nothing like leaving behind everything you know in order to follow after God. My mom supported him all the way, together as partners. And later on when they made a similar move to South Korea and they completely changed their lives all over again, it didn't seem like such a big deal because that's who they are together.

They were both amazing examples for us as we grew up. Church ministry was a way of life for our family. From the old days with the big purple bus, going around town to collect kids for Sunday School, to the Vacation Bible School that my mom used to run in Wawa with the youth group. I remember how they mentored one of the tennants from our basement apartment during the Peterborough era. I remember the string of foster kids that we welcomed into our home throughtout the years.

From my mom, I got my crazy and dark sense of humour. I received my love for French and my cultural heritage as a French Canadian. From her, I gained my artistic eye. I received my musical talent and innate love of music. I've often said that music is in my blood. I remember listening to worship music all the time while growing up, automatically learning how to harmonize because that's how my mom sang. My love of kids comes straight from her. I trace my fiery and intense passion in many areas of life to her.

From my dad, I received my subtle and dorky sense of humour. And while I gladly do not share my dad's musical talents, or lack thereof, I did inherit his booming voice. My skills and love of sports, and my technical abilities as a computer programmer, can both be traced to my dad. My particular thinking process and the way that I digest information comes from him. The way that I approach problems and confrontations, I trace back to him.

I am the man that I am today because of my parents and because of our family. I will forever be grateful for that. I could never ask for any other life and I could never want any other parents. I love you both, Ma et Pa!

7 comments:

Ashleigh said...

David and Therese,

I couldn't possibly let this day pass without also adding my own congratulations and best wishes for 30 more years full of joy, health and rich blessings

Though I have only spoken to the two of you on only a handful of occasions, I can say that the time I have spent getting to know you both has been wonderful! I must say, it's so nice to talk to someone who understands first-hand the joys of teaching!! I initially met Jamie back in October of last year. There are many ways in which his presence in my life has blessed me, but I'm sure I don't need to list them for you, as you are, as Jamie so beautifully articulated in this post, the reason he is the man that he is.

I just wanted to say thank you for, not only raising the man that I am now proud to call my friend, but for also reaching out to me and touching my life yourselves.

You are a wonderful couple and I have no doubt that God still has many wonderful plans in store for you.

God bless.

Lori said...

Ash that was very sweet of you! Nice thoughtful post Jamie, and yes, happy 30th anniversary David and Therese..

Lori said...

I meant to say also, that I love the wedding picture it's classic romance.

David Grant said...

All of your thoughts are precious to us. Thank you.

Lori,
Our photo won an award for the photographer. It was all because of moi.

Lori said...

You wrote:
"It was all because of moi."

It shows...haha

Leonard Terry said...

Here you were having your aniversary and I didn't even know!

You are both a blessing and the love you have for each other and the Lord is changing lives.

May the lord give you 60 more!

Leonard

Cam said...

Beautiful photo.