Monday, September 11, 2006

All Of Us

"None of us is as smart as all of us."

This is a quote that is on the bulletin board in the kitchen at Unit 10 at my company. Apparently this saying is based on a Japanese proverb. It's intended to emphasize that teamwork and co-operation can accomplish a lot of things that we cannot do individually.

Sure, I'll go along with this principle. Two heads are better than one. I often use other people as sounding boards to test my ideas. I make an intentional effort to assume that my decisions and designs may be flawed and I specifically get advice from others. Compromise happens to be a word that I love in this regard.

That being said, I briefly had my own response on this same bulletin board:
"None of us is as smart as all of us."
"Unless 'all of us' is a committee."

It's a long-standing precept in the software development industry that "design by committee" is a bad thing. Yes, two heads are better than one but many heads are not better than two heads. At some point, committees become either a tool of the most powerful person in the room or they introduce a series of endless compromises.

The best ideas - the most risky ideas, the most challenging ideas, the most creative ideas - are filtered out. Only the mediocre and generally palatable ideas are accepted. Instead of implementing a unique and powerful vision, that one voice of the future becomes a gaggle of people talking. At the end, no one can take credit or responsibility for a singular idea and the original passion of the work is lost.

I'm not against committees per se. I happen to be involved in several different weekly meetings at work and they function very well. For certain tasks, though, committees suck...the life out of the project.

I have an idea that you should let geniuses do what they do best. A genius will still get input and ask advice from everyone because they're smart enough to know that they don't live in a bubble and they do not hold the keys to all information. However, their efforts are not diluted, either.

It's often like trying to do a painting. If a bunch of people jump in together, the final image is either a gloppy mess or it's so highly regimented that it may as well have been paint-by-numbers. That being said, comics are often done by a person that does the initial art in pencil, followed by a second person that does inking and finally the colourist does their overlay. Sometimes, the sum result is worse than the individual efforts but when you get a great team, each level only improves and accentuates the last.

2 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

By the way, "Battle36" was noted in the top left corner of this same bulletin board. Was this quote written there by him or was that just old text from something else?

Lori said...

Susan chose the thought for the day. If it were me, I'd have put "It's hard being a person".