Thursday, September 14, 2006

Old Kids & Young Kids

Congratulations to Richard and Tara! It's their 4th anniversary today. So what is that, the Lego anniversary with an onion ring?

Here's a true urban legend. It's a story of how one student came to class late one day and copied down the homework questions for math from the blackboard. Two of the questions seemed to be harder than usual but the teacher confirmed that this homework was required. The student returned a few days later with the answers, apologizing for his tardiness. Several weeks later, the teacher came back to him with astounding news. The two difficult questions had not been part of the regular homework - they had been written down during class as examples of unproved theorems that remained unresolved. The moral of this story? We can accomplish amazing things if we get rid of these presumed limitations.

As an observation that I made this week, there's a big difference between liking kids and being a good leader for kids. Me, I happen to hang out quite a bit with kids. I can easily relate to video games, comics, TV, action figures and imaginary games. That's all great fun for me and I take it as seriously as any kid does, as my sister can attest. However, caring for and leading a group of kids is another thing altogether. Positive discipline, maintaining focus, organizing activities, teaching a subject...that's tricky for me. I have nothing but respect for the teachers and children's ministry people that I know. Such talent, such instincts. Not to say I'm useless in this regard but it's like I have a G1 license whilst others have been driving around for years.

Speaking of kids, here's a picture of the five boys that we have at my house this year from South Korea. Along with my Little, who is not pictured here for privacy's sake, I took them to Laser Quest in downtown London a couple of weeks ago. We played three games and sweated up a storm. And yes, I kicked butt and had the top score two out of three games while we played with another fifteen people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you're so competitive with people more than half your age. There's nothing wrong with it of course; I'm just fascinated with your eagerness to win at all costs. L

Lori said...

Jamie Your self-worth should not be tied up with external validation of some game or some career activity. Just kidding, as if right?

Jamie A. Grant said...

It's not, Lori. My sense of self-worth is tied to what others think of me. And since you think badly of my sense of self-worth, I'm devestated. *curls into fetal position*

Lori said...

Okay you win, happy now? haha

Tara White said...

wow your great with kids Jamie
maybe you'll have 7 and you can teach them how to be competitve like you. hahaha it's good that you like the same things they do we need more people like you. tara

Tara White said...

wow your great with kids Jamie
maybe you'll have 7 and you can teach them how to be competitve like you. hahaha it's good that you like the same things they do we need more people like you. tara

Lori said...

Tara wrote:
"maybe you'll have 7 and you can teach them how to be competitive like you"

I find this extremely funny, don't you? Was this meant to be a burn, I don't know - either way, hysterical.