Sunday, January 15, 2006

Blinks and Beeps

Who doesn't think that Cyclops the Cat is cute?

Welcome back, Zach. He has another blog up and running. We'll see if this lasts longer than his last one.

Welcome to NRG, London's latest contribution to high culture.

Does anyone know the address for Stan Clemance's blog?

I would just like to say that I did not hang out with anyone yesterday evening. And the name of the woman I did not hang out with did not start with an E...no wait, that's too obvious. The name of the person whom I did not see was not a book of the Bible. Nothing to see here, folks, so just move on.

A few months ago, a friend of mine took a trip to New York to do some sight-seeing. Over the course of his week there, he quickly learned that NY drivers have a common language that they use to communicate to one another. Just in case you're ever driving there, here are the basic messages that drivers give to each other by using their car horns. To quote my friend:

  • One short beep means go ahead. Usually by the average joe.
  • Two short beeps also means go ahead, but I found cabbies used this one more often.
  • One long beep I found meant one ore more four letter words. This was proven when I saw the drivers flipping out to the person in front of them.
  • Three short beeps (I think) means they are trying to get someone's attention. This was proven when it surprisingly happened more than once to people walking on the sidewalk.
  • One normal length beep was when a cabbie acknowledged to someone on the sidewalk with their hand waving them down, they wanted to let the person know they will turn around.
  • Now, I think you can guess this one yourself.. but if you are blocking the intersection, and you hear one long continuous beep coming from > 5cars/trucks... they are not too happy. This would fall under the category of one or more long beeps continuously.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"nothing to see here folks just move along. OH! a plane crash! gather round, look flaming wreckage! come on gather round don't be shy."

Richard P
no wait that's too obvious
R. Phillips

solnechko said...

haha... richard's funny.

wait. you did not hang out with anyone? or you did not hang out with no one? ezra? ezekiel? elijah? oh wait, that's not a book. i'm so confused. you are very confusing. no, you are shrouded in mystery. is shrouded a real word?

solnechko said...

the cat is... cute is a very weird way. if you expect to see it, it's ok, but if it were just birthed, and I saw that come out, I think i would have screamed or something. not that cats really let you watch them have birth, though...

Anonymous said...

Stan has a blog???

*watches in awe as rumours propagate through the internet at luminal speeds*

Jamie A. Grant said...

What rumour, Stan? On Mike's blog you said, "Maybe I have a topic for my next blog entry." Are you saying that you do not have a blog?

Anonymous said...

Maybe I do.... maybe I don't....

Wait - you mean *I* started the rumour?!?

*stares innocently skyward, a faint halo encircling his head*

Anonymous said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday..