Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The View From Here

Inscrutable. It's a word that I would use for the fact that some people find me hard to read. I don't usually wear my emotions on my sleeve and my facial expressions can be, um, inexpressive.

Granted, this trait can be annoying. I've had enough people comment on this and I have put some effort into modifying this behaviour. Back at AV-Base, Susan used to mock me whenever she saw me in a meeting, crossing her arms and furrowing her brow mightily behind my back. I tend to stare into space while I'm thinking, chomping on a pen and then jotting notes on my clipboard. It can be a little "intense," as people have said. Lindsay got a kick out of comparing me to Christopher Walken.

The positive side is that there are many times when it serves me very well to not express an instant opinion with my body language. During emotional and angry confrontations, I am very likely to remain calm and try to work through the issues. During emergency situations, like getting cut off while driving, it allows me to deal with the situation at hand. During the work day when someone challenges one of my cherished ideas, it allows me to consider the pros and cons before responding. And when I'm hanging out with someone that likes to sing off-key for hours at a time, I don't get easily frustrated.

That's the outer side of me. Inside my head, I act like a big data collector. I just suck in all of the information that I can get. I let it wander through this software matrix in my head and I eventually provide my response. I weigh the positives and negatives, I consider the source of the information, I let the emotional factors mix things up, I parse it all and I came out with a result.

Not that everyone likes the result, as we saw with this post. I can seem to be a little too formulaic, a little too controlling, a little too calculated. (I prefer the terms "self controlled" and "teachable.") I mean, how can I so callously break all of my friends up into little groups with nice labels and then somehow decide who gets to use up most of my spare time?

Allow me to shed some light on that. As I have mentioned here recently, I have done a few personality tests on this blog before. I did the Jung typology test and came out as an ISTJ, as described here in detail (or maybe on INTJ).

To quote the above description, "ISTJs often give the initial impression of being aloof and perhaps somewhat cold." We just want the facts, ma'am. The world is logical and there are patterns everywhere. Everything should fit into some big picture.

So my "circles of friends" post was an excellent glimpse into how I process life. To go back further, I had this post in which I dissected my top priorities in life. The way I do this and the reasons that I work this way are all related to my personality type. This permits me to excel in my chosen career and design great software. It's one of the main reasons that I have been able write so many blog posts over the past few years.

Even so, many other people do not think about life in the same way. They do not share my value system or my personality traits, nor should they since we are all different. The danger is that we then declare someone else's personality type as "wrong" and ours as "right." We judge the way that other people judge and we ironically make a judgment against ourselves in the process. The key is that we need to learn how to understand and even appreciate the way that other people approach life.

(Heh. You could say that I have judged the ones that judge the other judges. Oy vey. That's definitely not where I was heading with that.)

My point is this: I look at the world through my own unique eyes. My perspective is different from yours and everything looks a little different to me. That's the view from here.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Jamie, I love the way you are and most of the time I completely understand what you share. I appreciate that you express certain things although your explanations usually match my assessments anyway so I'm rarely surprised.

I think you have many facial expressions that speak volumes. I've told you this before. Susan has cracked me up as you know, so many times furrowing her brow behind your back. That's your serious face she's imitating, or the perplexed one.

Intense is sexy, if you don't mind me saying. Be flattered by anyone who tells you that you're intense. Most the time it's concentration - something you do very well it amazes me. Other times well it's just soulfulness in my opinion.

You're not always intense though, sometimes you're down right goofy. But in sum, you are one of the most intriguing/interesting people I've ever met.

Anyway... there is my two cents worth.

Ashleigh said...

Since I don't have anything intelligent to add, I'll just say ditto to everything Lori just said, and leave it at that.

Aleah said...

My view is pretty much the opposite of yours. Where you outweigh the positive and negatives before you react and collect "data", I react pretty much immediately and get angry/frustrated insanely quickly. So I encourage you in that area, although it may seem "intense" my view is that the world would be a little less angry if we all did that.

Plus, I agree about the whole judging judges thing. That's really all I can say about that :P

Steve Pye said...

If no one minds me contributing my two cents worth, I'd have to say that I completely agree with, and understand where Jamie is coming from in this post. I tend to analyze and react in a logical manner as much as possible, but there are many areas of my life where I've had to work hard to become that way. Like the other reply to this post, I too tend to react quickly and somewhat passionately (either positive or negative) to many situations, but sometimes that gets me into trouble. This happens most often when dealing with issues that I feel personally connected to, or in situations where someone or something has pushed way too many of my buttons until I'm "over the top".

While I would agree with Jamie that his approach can often appear "aloof" and "cold", I also appreciate that aspect of his personality more than I ever gave him credit for in the past. It's also the main reason why I wanted to work with him now. Out of all the people I know, I think Jamie has the strongest balance of passion and logic, and that's a skill many people don't have.

But like anyone who is well-balanced, they will always appear somewhat distant to those who are not. Like a see-saw... the person balanced in the middle is distant from the extremes on both ends. But ultimately, it's that balanced individual in the center that is necessary for helping those of us who just like to ride the see-saw and bounce up and down.

Cam said...

Coming from someone who shows all her facial expressions... it's not always a good thing to have, like Steve has already mentioned, I think it might be safer if I didn't ;)

Analyzing data before reacting is a great way to handle tough situations, maybe we'd have less angry and distressed people if they all thought this way but, what fun would we have then? I like meeting all sorts of personalities, everyone has their own way of looking at the world and that's what makes each person so interesting to talk to.

Can you imagine a world where everyone showed their facial expressions... I think it would be exhausting and funny come to think of it.

solnechko said...

ah, God made us all different.