Saturday, December 9, 2006

Worship: Friend of God

Yesterday with the Young Adults group at nine20, I led the worship set by myself. I brought along my piano keyboard and we managed to figure out the sound system by ourselves with our usual techies. It's been a long time since I have played the piano and it's been a long time since I led worship by myself. I'm sure I was pretty rusty but I got through it fairly well and I think that God used the music to touch people that were there. Wow, have I ever missed doing this kind of thing.

Since my new job allows me to work from home for the next month or two, I have been using a bit of time in the afternoons to start using my piano again. I usually can't practice at home because I don't want to wake anyone up in the morning and people are always around in the evening, but now I have an empty house in the middle of the day so I've picked it up again. That's one thing that I have been anticipating since I resigned from my previous job.

The focus of our worship time was on two songs that talk about how we can be friends with God. Jesus isn't a mythical figure, he's a real person that we can talk to and that talks to us. Granted, it's a little odd to speak into the air, as it were, but once you really know God personally it's amazing to see how much he loves us. We can be a real friend of God.

As for other music, if anyone is planning to come to any of the six upcoming Christmas performances at my church (as I mentioned here), I recommend that you sit on the right hand side. From your vantage point, I will be on the left side of the stage ("stage right") and you won't be able to see me if you're sitting on the left side because of the set. Also, the performance is about two hours long.

2 comments:

solnechko said...

it was sweet having you play keys. no need for fanciness, the simplicity was refreshing... thanks for leading! you did a great job!

Ashleigh said...

It's a good thing you mentioned that little seating glitch...I didn't realize some people (likely myself included) were blocked by the set on one side. I'll passs this on to anyone that might be coming to see me.

As far as the leading is concerned, I'm sure you did great. You always sing right from your heart for the Lord..No fanciness is required when you have that...I think people can sense the love of God, and the love you have FOR God anytime you sing...but that's just my opinion.

See you later tonight.

P.S. Thanks for helping me out. I really do appreciate it very much.