Friday, November 23, 2007

Back To Square One

Professionally, this past year was quite a unique experience for me.

In December 2006, I let my company of eight years in order to help found a new company that was intended to help people with disabilities. While it was a great opportunity for me, the money never materialized and I ended up spending my savings during that period. That hurt financially and in retrospect it wasn't a prudent move but it was still a fascinating experience.

At various times during the year, I completed a couple of short-term programming contracts. Those were a ton of fun, and I enjoyed pulling together all of my varied skills to put on these little one-man shows. The trick is finding enough of these small projects, which ain't no small thing.

Back in August 2007, I joined another small company near London as a programmer. As it turns out, they needed someone to do technical support a lot more than they needed coding. Despite by best efforts, I got burned out from the constant phone calls and client care and I eventually had to resign from this job due to overwhelming stress. Today was my last official day with my current company, but they have a bright future ahead of them and I am disappointed that I had to leave.

I actually considered going back to my first company but my old position as Director no longer exists. I wouldn't enjoy returning if it meant kicking someone else out of a current management role, and I don't want to go back as a programmer only and lose the progress I've made in my career so far. That idea is somewhat awkward as well.

So here I am, back at square one. I would dearly love to find a job in people management for a software development team, or as a business analyst, or as a database architect. Overall, I wiped out my savings and ended up below the poverty line this year, which is hilarious. We'll just have to wait to see what happens with my career now...

2 comments:

solnechko said...

oh jamie... sorry to hear about that... if i hear of anything i'll let you know... i'll be praying for you guys, that the Lord will just work everything out, and bring about all the right changes, all the right opportunities, right jobs, right everything, and most of all that the Lord will just provide for all of your needs and prove to you personally that he never leads us into a pit with no purpose or hope of getting out. He is our HOPE!!!

Anonymous said...

Nobody understands how stressful helpdesk work is until they do it... good luck Jamie and let me know if you need me to tap on my network of contacts.
Andrew