Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Church Of You & Me: Context

Previously, I posted the Top 10 Reasons For A Big Church. This was in response to my dad's blog post in which he mockingly did the same. However, I am genuinely a fan of both big and small churches. I think that they each offer different advantages and disadvantages related to the number of people in the church.

I've been a member of maybe a dozen churches throughout my lifetime, usually changing churches only when my family moved or when the church closed. Several of those churches had between forty and eighty people, and a few had upwards of one thousand people. Regardless, I was equally involved in the music ministry in each place, and I was often involved in many other areas like youth ministry and small groups. And speaking of small groups, I've been a member of five different cell groups for most of the past ten years, including leading one such group for two and a half years

When we suggest that 90% of the ministry in a church is done by 10% of the people, I was always in that 10%. Spending 20+ hours at church in any given week is not abnormal for me, it's always been my habit. And you know what? I never regretted any of it. I always loved being heavily involved in church, using my gifts and talents for God and to minister to people. I'm a big, big fan of church.

I say all of this in order to supply the context for this next post...

No comments: