Sunday, November 13, 2005

Conversationalist

I recently observed an interesting contrast in my communication style. Two weeks ago, I was visiting a church in Windsor with a group from my church, as I wrote about here. This church, New Song Church, has a community meal every Friday evening and a casual snack-and-service thing every Saturday night. While we were there on the weekend, we were instructed to mix with the people there, start a few conversations and get to know them a bit.

That's never really been a problem for me. I've always been good at leading conversations with complete strangers, even if I'm just giving someone a ride home. My habit has always been to spot young men that look like they could use a friend. If the guy is single and in his late teens or early twenties, we usually find something with which we can relate and it's easy enough to have a half hour conversation with them. Consciously and/or unconsciously, I've always been drawn to developing friendships or starting conversations with people on the edge of group. (Is there something Freudian in that? I'll chalk it up to my God-given desire to disciple people.)

The contrast that I see in my life is that I don't like to start those same kinds of conversations for my own sake. If I'm the one on the edge of a group, I find it much more difficult to break into ongoing conversation and engage some people. This reluctance even seems silly to me sometimes if I hesitate to break into a group with whom I'm friends already.

Upon further review, I think that this contrast may relate to my personality type, as I wrote about here back in the day. I'm about 50-50 melancholy and phlegmatic, which means that I'm a logical introvert and that I'm an easy-going perfectionaist, respectively. The introverted side comes through in my conversational skills and my reticence in that area.

I used to think that I was more choleric, an extrovert, because that was my reputation when I was in youth group back in Wawa and since I've always been the leader of some ministry or worship team. When I first moved to London, it took me a while to figure out that I don't have to be the crazy, outgoing guy just because people expect it. I learned that the extroverted aspect of being a worship leader (in particular) are traits that I picked up out of necessity but I can still appreciate myself as a more introverted guy.

The trick is to allow myself to be introverted without excluding myself from conversations and without shutting out my own friends. I think that I have developed a fairly good balance but once in a while that wallflower in me still takes over. Yeah, it strikes me as somewhat funny.

3 comments:

solnechko said...

Hello, my name is sanguine. To be honest, I have never equated "choleric" with "extrovert". To me choleric instantly triggers thoughts of a "worker, doer". Cholerics do things and get them done. Cholerics are dependable. I can see some of those things in you --> e.g. you love to help people move!

But don't let me confuse you, if you've figured out what you are. I thought I had mine all figgered out, till my mom went and told me she thought i was wrong. What does she know anyway? Now I'm having an identity crisis.

You must have done quite an about-face when you came to London. I can't really picture you being crazy-crazy. Well, maybe a little.

Jamie A. Grant said...

I know that Tara is a sanguine and I figured Andrea had that personality type as well. Maybe you should take a test...

As for me being choleric, the first time I did my personality test back in May I was evenly split between three personality types: melancholy, phlegmatic and choleric. That's not supposed to be possible so I redid the test and paid more attention to what I prefer rather than what I would usually do, and that knocked choleric way down.

I have aspects of being a choleric but that's either a learned trait or a mask. Probably a little of both, so it has good and bad aspects to it for me.

Amanda said...

I think that when it comest to conversations it's polite to first listen to the conversation to get the jist of it and then when there is a natural pause take your turn and say something really clever.

That being said, conversation is becoming somewhat of a lost art. It takes a lot of skill to be entertaining these days without any extra help from other media.

Cheers,