Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Always With The Laughs

"I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral.
Can't understand what I mean?
Well, you soon will.
"
One Week by Barenaked Ladies

I laugh at everything. Jokes, funny comments and puns? Always. Cartoons and comedies? I'll laugh louder than anyone else. The joys of life? Happy and hearty guffaws. The absurdities of life? Why not laugh? Insults, accusations, threats and anger? Mocking mirthfulness ensues. Disappointment, loss and heartache? Better to laugh than cry, I always say.

Even when I shouldn't laugh, I still do. Check that: Especially during the times when I shouldn't laugh, I still do. Everyone has their own defense mechanism, and mine seems to be laughter.

Uncomfortable situations make be giggle repeatedly. Someone yelling at me will draw a wry smile to my face, though I work to control that reaction since it only creates more of a problem. The best kind of bad situation will make me laugh, like this time when my van was broken into. The most annoying frustrations strike me as hilarious, like this time when I waited for the slowest train ever. And yes, I have indeed laughed at a funeral. Many times, in fact.

Laughter is my go-to move. It's my default reaction almost regardless of the situation. Sometimes it's just a subtle giggle, sometimes it's crazy laugh-to-the-sky hysterics. Sometimes it's for a good reason, sometimes it's not. I don't know how or why I developed this trait but it strikes me as funny. Of course.

I find it even more amusing to note the main defense mechanisms of my friends and family, especially in contrast to my own. Anger is a common response, along with all the mess that entails. Withdrawing and shutting down is another option I've seen. Dominating others or enforcing our independance can work fine sometimes. Some people have a million fears in any situation, some have a million tears. And while I rely on laughter so often, I've certainly used a couple of those other ones as well.

I love to laugh, and yet I find my own writing to be so bereft of humour. That's so odd...and it strikes me as funny. Heh.

4 comments:

Cam said...

Ya... you do laugh a lot. So fascinating ; )

Lori said...

Hello Jamie I laugh more than you and this post sound like me bigtome - in this respect we are alike!

Abe said...

I laughed at this post.

solnechko said...

you're so weird.

(awkward silence)

HAHAHAHA