Monday, February 7, 2005

Superbowl and Grey Cup

I watched and celebrated the Superbowl game last night at GTA. I was rooting for the New England Patriots and by golly, the team I was rooting team for won this year. The game was a lot closer than I anticipated and I didn't find it boring at all. I mostly just wanted to see a great team set records and I love the fact that they've now won three of the four last titles. In comparison, I was rooting against the LA Lakers in the NBA when they did the same sort of thing but I like the Patriots attitude more than I did the Lakers.

As for the rest of the evening, we had pizza, chicken wings, chips and pop supplied for five bucks and I was quite full afterwards. Tara, Joel Terry, Terry Arsenault and even Juliette were there, so it was nice to enjoy the game with so many friends sitting around me.

The highlight of the night was the guest speaker, Jude St. John. He's an offensive lineman that won the CFL Grey Cup this past season. He's a local boy that has been coming to GTA for their Superbowl party for years now but this is the first year in which he was a reigning CFL champion. He had some good stories during the half-time show and a good message, relating football to playing on God's team.

As I mentioned here back in November, I wrote about the time that I went to my first live Raptors game. What do you know, the Toronto Argonauts had just won the CFL championship a couple of days earlier and most of the team came out during a pause in the game and paraded the Grey Cup for everyone to see. It was the highlight of the night.

So at GTA last night they had a variety of contests and my name was chosen in a draw for an NFL trivia game against three other people, complete with buzzers. There were only ten questions in all and the one guy got the first four in a row right. I eventually gave a good effort and correctly answered two questions. (Multiple Choise Question: Which musical act is not playing in the Superbowl this year? Answer: U2.)

The other guy got his choice between a Leafs jersey (what th...?) and great Argos tickets for next year's season so he went with the tickets, of course. As runner-up, I got the jersey. I asked Jude to sign my jersey for me, but before I did so I reminded him about that Raptors game and I confirmed that he was there. So now I have a Leafs jersey with an Argo's signature and a comment about the Raptors game:

Hey Jamie, remember the Raptors game? Jude St. John (66)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hhahahahaha! ~L

Abe said...

Yeah, Jude's great, he's in our life group. We went tobogganing with him the other week, you should have seen all 300 and some odd pounds of him flying down the hill on a GT.

Aleah said...

Sadly, I never learned the game of football. No one in my family watches it, therefore I have no one to teach me :(