Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Summer Plans

A couple of weeks ago, my church had a video which included a man who was playing on the Crocodile Hunter persona. He visited the "wildlife" in a local church and, after chasing his prey down with a net, came away with a new female volunteer for VBS (Vacation Bible School). On his next exciting adventure, he crept up on the even more elusive male volunteer, whispering to the camera about how clever these creatures are. The male was mowing his lawn and just as the mower stopped, the hunter turned on the TV inside with a remote control through the window and a sports show came on. The male immediately went into the house and fell into the trap, making it two successful captures for the big game hunter.

There was no trap for me but I decided to be one of those rare male volunteers this summer. My church is holding a summer kids camp (or VBS) called the Serengeti Trek. It will be running each morning from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm from July 18 to July 22. I'll participate in that and then head over to work for the afternoon. I have many fond memories of the years in which my mom ran a VBS back in Wawa with the entire youth group helping out, so this should be fun.

On the weekend of July 22, I'm also planning on a weekend ministry trip to Windsor with several members of my worship team and the drama team. There's a church there named New Song Church that has a ministry in training other churches for inner city outreach and ministry to the poor. We're talented in music and drama ministry so that's what we'll be doing with them, but they'll be showing us the ropes regarding their church ministry at the same time. I always like doing these kinds of things of quickie ministry trips, though I haven't had many opportunities over the years.

And finally, my big trip of the summer will be a trip to Quebec with my mama et ma grandmama. I'll presumably handle the bulk of the driving. We'll be leaving early on Friday August 5 and we'll be returning on Sunday August 14. We're heading down for a big Therrien family reunion and I haven't visited my extended French family since I was a young kid. It should be fun, if only because the entire family likes to break out in music all over the place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya know, i always thought you were very routine oriented, very stay-in-the-box but you've shown me another side of you. you're going to volunteer at a summer kids camp and take time off work to do so? i don't think that's something most people would do. even i wouldn't do that. way to break from the ordinary. ~L

Jamie A. Grant said...

Thanks, L. I agree that I am very routine oriented - except when I'm not. For a similar reason, Ma and Pa were surprised that I went swimming in the river with my Little Brother a couple of weeks ago. The things I will do for kids, eh?

Anonymous said...

yeah, ma told me about the river thing too. i was just as surprised. kudos to you for standing in the mucky, sinky mud and on the slippery, slimy rocks! you really are great with children!